Question Joining the family folks! via strange circumstances

Hello Bass Cat fans,

So for the last nine months I was saving up for a 2021 Ranger z520l boat. Purchasing from a "friend". However, this so-called friend backed out at the last minute when he realized he could get more for his boat with only 15 hours. His claim was his new 22 model Ranger R boat wont be ready until June 2022. BS! And yes the voat we agreed upon is loaded with a pair of helix 12's and a 15 at the console and 10' Raptors. His dealer is in Missouri.
    We agreed to $72k back in January. Today, he only has 15 hrs. I realize I'm getting the better deal. But he is really pulling a fast one on me. My next boat in 2024 was going to be a Puma STS. It appears I will be pulling the trigger much sooner thanks to this jerk. I wasn't ready to spend over $90k. But no matter I'm very excited about the new Puma. I hope to visit the factory and get a better perspective before I start securing my order with a dealer. But I need to act fast. I hate to let this guy get away with something like this but I'm getting a lot of people advising me to do just that. He is holding a $1000 check in case I backed out. Which I understand. We have no contract but the parameters of the transaction were detailed and agreed upon via text and Email. My attorney says I have a legitimate case.

In the end, I'd rather have a Bas Cat than a Ranger. I just love how Rick Pierce and Bass Cat treat their customers.

Thoughts?

Having ridden in Many boats including the Ranger you were looking, I'd purchase the Puma STS
    I rode in one for hours during the Public Demo Day last month. Fabulous boat.

3. Member
    Thanks Blue!

4. Member
    Smart Decision.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you adding to your boat to make it over $90k?

Quote Originally Posted by Hookdem View Post
    Hello Bass Cat fans,

So for the last nine months I was saving up for a 2021 Ranger z520l boat. Purchasing from a "friend". However, this so-called friend backed out at the last minute when he realized he could get more for his boat with only 15 hours. His claim was his new 22 model Ranger R boat wont be ready until June 2022. BS! And yes the voat we agreed upon is loaded with a pair of helix 12's and a 15 at the console and 10' Raptors. His dealer is in Missouri.
    We agreed to $72k back in January. Today, he only has 15 hrs. I realize I'm getting the better deal. But he is really pulling a fast one on me. My next boat in 2024 was going to be a Puma STS. It appears I will be pulling the trigger much sooner thanks to this jerk. I wasn't ready to spend over $90k. But no matter I'm very excited about the new Puma. I hope to visit the factory and get a better perspective before I start securing my order with a dealer. But I need to act fast. I hate to let this guy get away with something like this but I'm getting a lot of people advising me to do just that. He is holding a $1000 check in case I backed out. Which I understand. We have no contract but the parameters of the transaction were detailed and agreed upon via text and Email. My attorney says I have a legitimate case.

In the end, I'd rather have a Bas Cat than a Ranger. I just love how Rick Pierce and Bass Cat treat their customers.

Thoughts?

5. Member
    I had almost the exact thing happen to me. I only had a gentleman’s agreement as he was a long time acquaintance and (friend).
    After the initial let down as I had the check in my wallet another friend suggested I look into getting a BassCat. I did and bought a two year old Puma FTD.
    I could not be happier that my friend got a little greedy!! I have a much nicer boat with more of everything that I could ask for. Not to mention the BassCat family that is always there to assist.
    Thanks
    Jim

2011 Puma FTD/ 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Thank you Tiger. That really makes me feel better. I think I will just let it go and call off the "dogs" (my attorney). I just hate that this guy is going to get away with it and "win". I was warned and defended him. Ugh, people! I'm super excited about the idea of becoming a Bass Cat owner.

7. Member
    Hello - I do not have a price yet. I guess I'm, anticipating it that high! I suggested the price will be in the mid 90's to one dealer and his first thought it would not be that high. However I'm going with a lot of goodies:

2022 Puma STS
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    2 - Helix 12's
    1 - Helix 15 (console and Linked)
    1 - Mega 360
    2 - MSI
    1 - MDI
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V (I think that's right)
    Dual Console for the wife! (hopefully available in this model)
    2 - 8' Shallow water anchors - Preferably Raptors

Optional depending on price:
    Reflex throughout (both decks)

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnee View Post
    Smart Decision.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you adding to your boat to make it over $90k?

8. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Sputnee, it’s very easy to get several boats, even smaller, that expensive today. From our experience most every big boat is getting hydraulic plates then adding three or four large graphs. Today we have Lithium options, Power Pole Charge, Poles, power steering, different trolling motors, and more options one can get crazy with. The new SP Premium (option) Accessory Kit alone adds about $15k. That has most everything anglers want and might miss one option. We will try to post those details.

We saw a Bobcat quoted that was crazy high recently, only because of the equipment and options. These aren’t bragging right on my boats more expensive than yours, though we have breached and entirely different buying style with all the goodies.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnee View Post
    Smart Decision.

10. Member
    Hookdem, remember life is short, so don't waste any more time on being upset. Your are going to get a GREAT rig and forget all about the prior deal. Enjoy!

11. Member
    My needs are simple, a Cougar FTD (since no more Puma FTD), with a 36 volt spot lock troller, 2 - 9's, no poles. Not even picky about the brand of TM or graphs.

12. Scraps
    Hello Bass Cat fans,

Thoughts?
    Sadly, your attorney will gobble up that $1000 in three hours.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Everything happens for a reason. And in this case its a good thing for you. You see how your so called “friend” really is. And now you can get a better boat with a basscat. O and you should just stop payment on that check. Good luck!!!

14. Member
    Hello - I do not have a price yet. I guess I'm, anticipating it that high! I suggested the price will be in the mid 90's to one dealer and his first thought it would not be that high. However I'm going with a lot of goodies:

2022 Puma STS
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    2 - Helix 12's
    1 - Helix 15 (console and Linked)
    1 - Mega 360
    2 - MSI
    1 - MDI
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V (I think that's right)
    Dual Console for the wife! (hopefully available in this model)
    2 - 8' Shallow water anchors - Preferably Raptors

Optional depending on price:
    Reflex throughout (both decks)

Thoughts?
    One thing that could save you a little bit of money is getting only one MSI helix (the 15). No need for MSI helix units up front with 360, just need MDI to read the 360, and MDI for ultrex down imaging.

I also wouldn't worry about not getting that ranger either. I don't know how close you and that "buddy" are, but try thinking about it from his perspective. Maybe he vastly underpriced the boat to you and is just realizing what a mistake he made with the pricing. A simple conversation about it should cover it, never need to get lawyers involved, they will just their best to take money from both sides.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    Mcjenson,
    Very sound advice
    Yes only one MSI at console was ordered. You're so spot on for this guy backing out. He never was a good friend. But I always treated him like a good one.

Thanks for your thoughts.