Temp and pressure readings on 200 pro xs

Hi guys,
    2021 200 pro xs on 2021 ranger 518. #3B053866

I’m still doing the motor break-in, a little over 6 hours so far. I wasn’t seeing over 10psi of water pressure during any rpm range. It has a digital gauge, that comes off a sensor in the console, that is connected to the black water hose that is ultimately connected to the gray hose under the cowling at the motor. I checked for crimps or leaks, don’t see any. I am getting water in the bilge from somewhere, and my first thought was a split hose that would also make the readings low. In any event, I added vessel view mobile and the water pressure sensor kit from Don. Installed and took to lake yesterday, thinking I could cross reference the gauge and VVM. Never saw over 11-12 psi on VVM. And that was WOT. I took some screen shots to review. Then I started looking at the VVM where I think it is showing engine coolant temps and oil temps.
    3350 rpm
    138 degrees coolant (or is this engine temp) temp
    9.3 psi water pressure
    210 degrees oil temp

3510 rpm
    140 degrees coolant or engine temp (still not sure on this one)
    9.7 psi water pressure
    210 degrees oil temp.

I don’t know for sure if these numbers on psi and temps are in range. It seems the 138-140 degrees is ok based on what I read in the maintenance manual for the thermostat start to open range. I didn’t see a number on oil temp, so maybe that’s not an issue. In the maintenance manual it says water pressure at WOT specs- 6000 rpm- 8.7-37.7 psi.

I’m planning to get a dealer to do the 20 hr service, just don’t know if everything is ok with the above numbers. No alarms, engine runs great, although the max RPM’s I can get has been about 5300. I will get the hot foot and throttle checked during the first service, although the dealer said it was fine when I picked it up. I also haven’t played around much with the hydraulic plate and trim, since I have been worried about the low water pressure.

Any help or advice is appreciated, this motor is certainly more complicated than my 91 Mag 2 150 on previous boat.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Member
    My brother has 200 pro xs and from day one has same low water pressure. Mercury stated if water temp is fine, don't worry about it. Still seems wrong to me. Also watch top of trim ram for pin to fall out. You lose trim reading and engine will go into guardian. Also watch for leaking oil in engine housing from dipstick area. Few annoying issues with these motors.

That WP is not correct and I would suggest you may have the incorrect sender installed on your engine, otherwise, something needs inspecting.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Water pressure specs are at idle and WOT only. What you see at 3400 - 3500rpm will be whatever it is. If you're getting 1 - 3psi at idle, and at least 12psi at WOT I'd say you're fine. Your coolant temps look normal to me.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Those numbers look very similar to my 2020 225 Proxs at the RPMs listed. Mine is a lot higher than that at WOT though. I am in the low 20s. Something is definitely up with that. Have you done any mods or added anything in the water pressure system?

I would drop the LU and check for a slightly torn or crimped gasket on the water pump. Personally, I would replace all the gaskets and impeller just to be sure. 99.9% of water pressure or overheat issues are the water pump.

OBTW, I had a torn gasket at 7 hours and did a water pump service myself.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 09-13-2021 at 07:52 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Thanks guys. No modifications done except adding the VVM. Boat came right from Ranger. The dealer did remove the stock plate and added the hydraulic atlas. I don’t think I want to drop the LU by myself, especially with a new motor. I’m handy but motors aren’t my thing. Maybe the sender for water pressure gauge is wrong, I’ll check that out too. I think my idle psi was .6 psi if I remember correctly but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck View Post
    Thanks guys. No modifications done except adding the VVM. Boat came right from Ranger. The dealer did remove the stock plate and added the hydraulic atlas. I don’t think I want to drop the LU by myself, especially with a new motor. I’m handy but motors aren’t my thing. Maybe the sender for water pressure gauge is wrong, I’ll check that out too. I think my idle psi was .6 psi if I remember correctly but I may be wrong.
    This engine does not come from the factory with a digital water pressure sender so your dealer or Ranger have added that to the engine so definitely check it is the correct one they have installed
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    This engine does not come from the factory with a digital water pressure sender so your dealer or Ranger have added that to the engine so definitely check it is the correct one they have installed
    ^^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    He has the correct water pressure sensor kit- as stated, he got it from me.

The problem stems from the fact that specs are for IDLE and for WOT.

The engine has not ever reached the appropriate WOT RPM's, as of yet. Until the engine is north of 6000 RPM's... it's not going to have WOT RPM's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    At the RPMS you listed mine has basically the exact same water pressure. Once you hit 5900-6200 RPM my guess is you'll be seeing around 20, that's where mine is at WOT. Temps look normal.

11. Member
    My new 200 pro xs runs at 3-5 psi at idle and slowly goes up as RPMs go up. Still need to make some adjustments but as of now I’m getting 5500 rpm and water pressure reads about 22-24. That’s on a analog gauge on my new nitro Z19