Problem with brake caliper after Vault hub rebuild

I received all the parts needed from Dexter warranty and rebuild the hub because of a bad inner seal. The hub rebuild went fine, test drove about 30 miles, no leaks but my inner brake pad is digging into the rotor. When I put the caliper back on it seemed right, also put blue loctite on the bolts. Something isn’t right, do I now have to replace the hub and rotor and possibly the caliber? I have replaced seals and bearings before but not much experience with brakes and calipers.

After thinking about what went wrong with the caliber, I’m wondering if the inside break pad was put in incorrectly? I had a friend helping and when the inside pad fell out he put it back in. Could this possibly be why the pad is digging into the rotor? My helper was cleaning the grease off the pad and rotor and possibly without knowing put it back in wrong. I hope that’s all it is. Thanks
    Last edited by Erie660; 09-12-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Sounds like you may have guessed the problem. Take that wheel off and pull the caliper, remove the pad and check for anything that doesn't seat in place like it should. Also make sure the plunger is not being blocked from moving back into the caliper.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Pull both wheels off so you can compare brake assembly.

Make sure you did not get the loctite on the slide pins and the pins should be lubed.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    The hub rebuild went fine, test drove about 30 miles, no leaks but my inner brake pad is digging into the rotor.
    Maybe the inside pad installed reverse, backing plate to to rotor surface?

I know of one fool that reversed the inside pad, when in a hurry, late at night, to go fishing early the next morning.

Heard it really good at 0 dark thirty, 140 miles later while launching.

Don't be that fool.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Maybe the inside pad installed reverse, backing plate to to rotor surface?

I know of one fool that reversed the inside pad, when in a hurry, late at night, to go fishing early the next morning.

Heard it really good at 0 dark thirty, 140 miles later while launching.

Don't be that fool.
    That’s exactly what the problem was, pad was reversed. I fixed it today, took the caliper off, turned the pad around and all is good except the rotor is a little gouged up but not bad. I test drove about 20 miles and it seems fine. Will it be ok to leave the rotor the way it is? Thanks

7. Member
    That’s exactly what the problem was, pad was reversed. I fixed it today, took the caliper off, turned the pad around and all is good except the rotor is a little gouged up but not bad. I test drove about 20 miles and it seems fine. Will it be ok to leave the rotor the way it is? Thanks
    Oopps, seems I am not alone.

My rotor was shot on the inside and needed replacement by the time I examined it in the daylight after fishing.

Rather than than repair in the parking lot, I decided to run it home and deal with it.

The pad was also replaced as it had an impression embossed into it from the caliper piston actuation.

Since you you only ran it a short distance, you should be able to have the rotor turned to clean it up or if the gouges are very very shallow(1/64th"), just run it and keep an eye on it in the future.

Good Luck

8. Member
    I replaced both calipers on the 08 when I did mine.One side had been sticking .

9. Member
    Leave it. The pad will wear to conform to the rotor.