Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    [QUOTE=fishnfireman;12083550]the new Mercury 4 stroke.................
    For the OP since your boat maker is no more I think "legally" your stuck with a V-6[/QUOTE]

I'm not asking if I should follow the plate or not. I'm asking if anyone knows a legal way to get a new plate that reflects the improvements in today's motors. It is made even more difficult by the fact Champion is out of business. After 75+ replies here it seems like no one on this link knows a legal way to do it. I did get some good legal opinions here that say it could be costly if I get in an accident. I believe that as well. That's a good deterrent and is the reason I am looking for a legal solution. It would be nice to find an option because I do believe it was not the intent of the Champion engineers back in 1998 to prevent me from putting a 250 V8 Merc on my 221 in 2022. Maybe so but without a legal way to get a new plate I'm probably out of luck.

Did you call NMMA?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I contacted them today. No reply yet. Will post their response when I get it. Here is the message I sent:

Is there any way to get my 1998 Champion 221 DC Elite Bass Boat rating changed from “any V6” to 225 or 250 hp? I want to put a Mercury Pro XS V8 on it but the current rating is “any V6”. Champion is out of business. The “any V6” rating was a marketing statement at the time in 1998 saying you can put any outboard you want on it because there were no V8 outboards in 1998. Now, it is limiting my ability to put the motor I want on it. I can legally put a 250 Yamaha V6 or Suzuki 250 V6 on it but the 250 Mercury’s are V8’s. I know this was not the intent of the rating on Champion’s largest boat at the time. I would be willing to join NMMA and pay a re-rating fee if you know of any way I can legally do this. Thanks for looking at this note.

Don Conroy

4. Member
    Thank you for trying Don....I'm watching this with great interest. I'm sort of in the same situation.....

The Marine dealer I spoke with (50 years in biz), in person, said because my manufacture is no longer in business I too am "stuck."

Addendum: IMOP, because you're dealing with a simple 6cyl vs 8cyl and NOT raising hp over the rating, I think you've got a MUCH better case than I have.....
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 09-21-2021 at 10:56 AM.

5. Member
    Here is the reply from NMMA:
    Hi Don,

Thank you for contacting me.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to help you on this. Any changes on boats must be made by the manufacturer who lets us know about them. Also, NMMA certification program is designed for boat manufacturers and covers all their boats that are in line for any given model year. Our certification does not apply to individual boat owners.

At last, our records go back only 10 years and Champion Boats have not been with NMMA certification program much longer than this.

I would suggest contacting USCG, https://uscgboating.org/ , maybe they will be able to help you on this

6. Member
    Just throw a Mercury Racing 400R on there and be done with it. A monster 2.6 liter 6 cylinder supercharged 4 stroke that you will hurt a lot of feelings with....lol You bank account may take a hit but you will be legal.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

7. Member
    technically, a V-8 *is* a V-6. It just happens to be a V-8 also.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbluewater View Post
    Here is the reply from NMMA:
    Hi Don,

Thank you for contacting me.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to help you on this. Any changes on boats must be made by the manufacturer who lets us know about them. Also, NMMA certification program is designed for boat manufacturers and covers all their boats that are in line for any given model year. Our certification does not apply to individual boat owners.

At last, our records go back only 10 years and Champion Boats have not been with NMMA certification program much longer than this.

I would suggest contacting USCG, https://uscgboating.org/ , maybe they will be able to help you on this
    Exactly what I was told would happen...... stuck..... bummer.....

9. Banned
    Legally a 22 ft boat doesn't have any HP restrictions. Manufacturers can make reccomendations all they want but they are not laws, and if your that worried about it get a different rating plate.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman73 View Post
    Legally a 22 ft boat doesn't have any HP restrictions. Manufacturers can make reccomendations all they want but they are not laws, and if your that worried about it get a different rating plate.
    I read the regulation/law and that's exactly how it appeared to be.....20.00000' and over are free to do whatever they like, 19.99999' or less is locked to the plate.....makes zero sense, but that's how I understood it. I would think this would obviously apply to cylinders.

I feel like this is semantics.

The way this gets interpreted by any state where I've ever done the research and, most importantly, the way that any insurance company looks at it is as follows: Yes, any boat over 20' isn't required to have a max rating attached to it, but that applies to the manufacturers of those boats. Should the manufacturer decide that they want to put a rating on it, the enforcement body in question defers to their judgment and it becomes the threshold.

It's on page 48 for MN, the state where the OP lives, so it really doesn't matter how the Coast Guard would interpret it. The state would consider ignoring what the plate says to be illegal, so all this discussion is completely moot: https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/re...atingguide.pdf
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I feel like this is semantics.

The way this gets interpreted by any state where I've ever done the research and, most importantly, the way that any insurance company looks at it is as follows: Yes, any boat over 20' isn't required to have a max rating attached to it, but that applies to the manufacturers of those boats. Should the manufacturer decide that they want to put a rating on it, the enforcement body in question defers to their judgment and it becomes the threshold.

It's on page 48 for MN, the state where the OP lives, so it really doesn't matter how the Coast Guard would interpret it. The state would consider ignoring what the plate says to be illegal, so all this discussion is completely moot: https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/re...atingguide.pdf
    That's why you change the plate.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Just throw a Mercury Racing 400R on there and be done with it. A monster 2.6 liter 6 cylinder supercharged 4 stroke that you will hurt a lot of feelings with....lol You bank account may take a hit but you will be legal.
    Problem is the 400R is an I6 not a V6

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Problem is the 400R is an I6 not a V6
    Now you've done it.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

15. Member
    The ratings weren’t established because of performance but instead because of weight of the motor.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtailhunter57 View Post
    The ratings weren’t established because of performance but instead because of weight of the motor.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

17. Member
    The dry weight of a new Merc 250 Pro XS v8 is 505 lbs. That is the same as my Mercury 225 EFI. When they released the Champion 221 they showed photos of it running two 225 Mariners linked together on the back which is over 1000lbs..

18. Member
    I would buy the motor that I want and can get serviced the easiest.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Now you've done it.

It is a closer match then the V-8....lol It will be faster also!!!!!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345