Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Look, I'm not going to argue/debate with you. I will say this, in the event you are in a serious boating/vehicular accident and it ends up in court you might well be shocked what you see and hear...

In the event of a serious boating accident the utilization of an "overpowered" boat is a pretty serious piece of evidence supporting the irresponsible operation of said boat. It won't matter if I'm the plaintiff or the defendant.

Secondly, why do YOU think most credible insurance companies (Probably ALL) REFUSE to cover boats if the engine exceeds the max hp rating (or in violation of any regulation/law)? It's because they are EXTREMELY risk averse AND have suffered serious losses in regards to these EXACT circumstances. Jury's aren't normally partial to insurance companies or "irresponsible boat operators." Ths is especially true if the operation of the car/boat/plane by the plaintiff/defendant is deemed to be irresponsible and contributed to serious bodily harm or death of an innocent.

I'm sure you'd agree with me that 25hp is TECHNICALLY no big deal, but, to a lawyer it is a significant piece of evidence of irresponsible behavior. It's especially significant if it was operated while KNOWINGLY in violation. They'll pound that into a jury along with anything else they can utilize/"twist" to demonstrate fault by either party.....plaintiff or defendent.....civil or criminal.

Btw, I'm no big fan of either insurance companies, a lot of lawyers, or of our legal system in it's present form. However, I'm a realist and reasonably well informed so I choose to adhere to all laws and regulations, even if I think they are ridiculous.

Example: A 20.000001' boat is exempt from hp regulations but a 19.999999' boat isn't? I'll promise you this, in the event of a serious boating accident resulting in litigation BOTH litigators will KNOW the EXACT length of the boats involved, their power plants, any and all laws/regulations involved with both, and how that information might have contributed to the event.....and they'll use that information at trial if they think it might well bolster their case.
    How could they prove that you knowingly exceeded the HP capacity? Also on a boat greater than 20' like you said there is no legal max HP regulations which I believe is the case here.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    How could they prove that you knowingly exceeded the HP capacity? Also on a boat greater than 20' like you said there is no legal max HP regulations which I believe is the case here.
    They'll try.....and it's not that hard to plant the seed of "proof" ....after all the ONLY thing that matters is what the jury believes to be true.....that's why the plate/sticker is there and in a pretty obvious location (I think in pretty much the same spot across the board via regulation). You can use your imagination from there.....

3. Member
    They'll try.....and it's not that hard to plant the seed of "proof" ....after all the ONLY thing that matters is what the jury believes to be true.....that's why the plate/sticker is there and in a pretty obvious location (I think in pretty much the same spot across the board via regulation). You can use your imagination from there.....
    What if you have a plate that matches or is greater than the HP of your motor?

4. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    There is no Max hp, just a 6 cylinder max. It’s rated at for any v6 even if it was 1000hp. 250hp from a V8 would make no difference at all, it just 2 cylinders. When mine pops i will repower with a new V8 and go on.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

5. Member
    Why isn't it as simple as looking up the max hp available in a V6 motor back in 1998 and using that as the max hp even if you have a couple extra cylinders?
    1999 Triton 205
    225 Yamaha VMax

6. Member
    Why do you think I haven't given it a shot Mac? 

Might give it a hale Mary shot.....can't hurt I guess....hehehe
    You never know, might get lucky. I’ve heard tale of great service departments at a wrmg dealer. It’s almost like a Bigfoot sighting, but I’ve heard of it. To be fair to wrmg, the only reason I ended up in a nitro was because the other dealers in my region were even worse to deal with.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post

an ignorant person puts an overpowered motor on
    guess add me to the ignorant person list

Maybe the V-6 is more for the weight of the engine or weight the transom can handle instead of actual HP?

He would not be overpowering his boat! In 1998, Mercury made a carb’d 250, a DFI 250 and a 250 EFI. ALL were 3.0L V6 motors. His boat was properly powered with a 250 in 1998 and is properly powered with a 250 in 2021. A few years ago, the Verado 300 and 350 were V6 motors. Technically he would not be overpowering his boat with a 350 V-Rod and it weighs in at close to 700 pounds!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    He would not be overpowering his boat! In 1998, Mercury made a carb’d 250, a DFI 250 and a 250 EFI. ALL were 3.0L V6 motors. His boat was properly powered with a 250 in 1998 and is properly powered with a 250 in 2021. A few years ago, the Verado 300 and 350 were V6 motors. Technically he would not be overpowering his boat with a 350 V-Rod and it weighs in at close to 700 pounds!
    I would try to find a 300XS Optimax.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    What if you have a plate that matches or is greater than the HP of your motor?
    Then, IF the plate represents the correct/legal max hp rating, you'd be good to go.....at least in reference to engine hp.

Believe me, I'm not in favor, at ALL, of overbearing governmental regulation....trust me. However, there are trial lawyers who'd sue over cheap toilet paper causing a rash. So I TRY not to expose myself and, by extension, my family to unnecessary legal risk.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    You never know, might get lucky. I’ve heard tale of great service departments at a wrmg dealer. It’s almost like a Bigfoot sighting, but I’ve heard of it. To be fair to wrmg, the only reason I ended up in a nitro was because the other dealers in my region were even worse to deal with.
    Will give er' a shot and report back....😉

13. Member
    I'd call your insurance Co and ask.my boat has a recommended placard on it that under what I run. My insurance Co didn't have a problem with it and its legal being over 20 ft..

With all of that said. If there is one thing I can assure you it's this, they wouldn't hesitate to use a hp violation to rip your skull off.
    I think that would be a tough road, as its not an HP violation. If a v6 was 250 hp or a v8 250 hp. What is the diff other then 2 extra cylinders.

If something happens whether you had a v8 or v6 250, that prolly is not your biggest problem.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I think that would be a tough road, as its not an HP violation. If a v6 was 250 hp or a v8 250 hp. What is the diff other then 2 extra cylinders.

If something happens whether you had a v8 or v6 250, that prolly is not your biggest problem.
    Wasn't in reference to a cylinder difference......it was in reference to violating the CG HP max in regards to a sub 20' boat involved in an accident.

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Put a sho 225 you will see a big performance gain

17. Member
    Sounds like the Senate on some of these debates

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanp View Post
    Sounds like the Senate on some of these debates
    Hehehe......yep......

What really sounds like em is the fact that if your boat is 19.999999' it's hp is restricted to the max number on the plate.....20'? Unrestricted..... explain the logic as I'm at a loss....

I spent the am at a highly respected marine dealership....given the whole family lessons in the past. In fact, they're a sponsor here. They've got many decades in the marine biz so I explained my hp predicament to them and they totally understood.

They told me that whatever the manufacturer/CG decided was the max hp rating on the plate was it. My boat is long since out of production, in either Fisher or Tracker form, so I'm locked to the number on the plate. I'm still going to try the Tracker dealer angle that WRMG suggested, but, I'm not holding my breath.

19. Member
    I am going to try two of the recommendations listed on here as well. I don't think I have a solution but I am enjoying reading all the posts on this subject. It has been good discussion. In the end I'm still wishing I could get my 22' champ re-rated for two more cylinders.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbluewater View Post
    I am going to try two of the recommendations listed on here as well. I don't think I have a solution but I am enjoying reading all the posts on this subject. It has been good discussion. In the end I'm still wishing I could get my 22' champ re-rated for two more cylinders.
    At 22', at least how I read it, you should be able to do whatever you want to your boat. That's why I'm a bit lost by the reasoning behind the "20' deal"....@ 18'3" I'm locked and at 20' your free....is what it is I guess.

i wish I had the guts to just throw a 150hp on mine, but, I know it's not the responsible thing to do....so I won't. Having spent my whole life around lawyers I've seen/heard the evidence in regards to lot of accidents involving people and circumstances that are hard to imagine...."never dreamed it'd happen to them"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast