Trim Stomp switches - water issues?

I have a PHX with the new fiberglass bow shroud and trim stomp switches. Was fishing Oneida this weekend. After fishing on the TM and taking water over the bow every third wave I decided to move spots and ran across the lake. (15-20-mph west wind so all you NY guys know what conditions I was dealing with). Half way across the lake my motor starts trimming up on its own and I can't stop it. I shut the motor off and can hear the trim going constant and nothing I could do to stop it other than press down trim, which only stopped it while I hit the down trim button and then it was right back to trimming up. I killed master power and it still was doing it. Had all I could do to keep it safe in the 5 footers so I trolled for 3 hours on my hands and knees to the closest ramp. Once I got in safer water I poled down and checked the motor trim relay - looked OK. I then pulled the stomp switches on the bow and when I moved the wires the trim started working temporarily. I blew out the switches and straightened the wires and bingo trim is back.

Called Jason as Phoenix from the lake and he is sending me new stomp switches - its been said before but these guys are awesome.

My question for guys on big water is this - has anyone else had issues with the stomp switches getting damaged when taking water over the bow like that? It looks like on open circuit board when you look at the back of the switch? I suspose if this happens again I will pull the plug to the switches or just cut the wires.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

2. Member
    If you end up having to cut the wires, find a place to install a cut/turnoff switch for future need.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    If you end up having to cut the wires, find a place to install a cut/turnoff switch for future need.
    That's a good idea thank you!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100