Helix 12 GN4 ISSUES

Need help guys

Started having issues outta my GN2 12 @console (no 2d sonar). I worked with Humminbird to determine that the head unit was bad.
    fast forward new GN4 with mega transducer received
    I just stuck new one on and went to the lake picked 83/200 maga trasducer seemed to be working fine but half way through the day 2d stopped picking up bottom and SI would come on but going very slow regardless of chart speed settings

I could take this unit and plug into bow seemed to work fine bow unit only DI so could not check SI, put bow unit on console no 2d

i am assuming the 2d is glassed in because it did work on plane. Just have no idea which one since I purchased boat used. But I know it had Lowrance originally and I still have Lowrance blue connectors under console that look as if they be still connected 😂 not sure that’s possible

Both transducers bad now or did I do something stupid pretty good at that as of late

Should I have installed new mega ducer because they do not look the same?

thanks in advance
    It's everything you learn after you know-it-all that really counts........

2. Member
    Ok ........ how about just recommendations on the best shoot thru hull ducer???

The third and forth generation Helix units have HW CHIRP as standard for 2D sonar, NOT 83/200 kHz.

The shoot-thru HW transducer is XP 9 HW.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Ok thanks ordered one today

5. Member
    Hey Wayne I got these ducers

XM 9 HW MSI T and a XP 9 HW T

my plan is to not use the temp sensor on the 2d and just leave it in the hull will this work? Pull the temp from the MSI

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kvandammit View Post
    Hey Wayne I got these ducers

XM 9 HW MSI T and a XP 9 HW T

my plan is to not use the temp sensor on the 2d and just leave it in the hull will this work? Pull the temp from the MSI

thanks
    Your "plan" is irrelevant. It is impossible to use the temp sensor attached to the shoot-thru since there is no circuit for it on that side of the Y cable. Temp will come from the SI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Good deal thanks, I was able to start the install this weekend and I did in fact have a Lowrance puck classed to the hull. So I am assuming this is the reason the 2D was not working, because this new head unit is not compatible with this transducer (NON CHIRP) and the G2N I had was?

Thanks again for the help

8. Member
    I would first understand your setup before you purchase anything. Does your console have a y cable splitter to split the SI mega ducer and a glassed in ducer? If so, unplug that and plug each individually and see if you get 2d readings from each transducer. It may be a bad y cable. I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be the transducer, but I went through all debugging steps to isolate the issue to the transducer. Also, if you're switching head units, make sure you have the correct transducer selected when doing the testing.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

9. Member
    Update everything worked great after the two ducer replacements, also updated to 2.66 which took care of the shallow water highlights in deep water.

thanks for the help