Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I believe I have read that the Israeli Army carries empty chamber. Upon drawing the weapon they rack the slide on the way to the point. If you feel unsafe carring loaded be sure you practice racking the slide everytime you draw to point. What ever it is that you do it should be learned to the point of doing it almost without thought.

Been carrying 1911’s for 15 years. Always condition 1 (cocked and locked). To me the 1911 just feels comfortable in my hand. Those that say their heavy should try a good quality holster and a belt designed for EDC. A good belt makes a big difference. Just my 2cents.
    Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one.
    R.E.L

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro
    200 Mercury ProXS
    2x10’ Talons

I got my holster yesterday and the belt I ordered arrived today, belt makes a big difference for sure. With the thumb safety plus the grip safety it really is a very safe gun no doubt. I'm pretty sure I'll carry it for a coupe of weeks with the magazine full and chamber empty just to get used to it then I will carry it in condition 1.

4. Member
    Cocked and locked as it was intended. Remember, a 1911 has not only the thumb safety but a palm safety as well.

That's a really nice looking pistol, BTW.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Cocked and locked as it was intended. Remember, a 1911 has not only the thumb safety but a palm safety as well.

That's a really nice looking pistol, BTW.
    Thanks, I really like it but have only been to the range three times with it. I just got the holster for it a couple of days ago and like the holster also also so I'm going to start carrying it.

6. Member
    Cocked and locked, NEVER carry hammer down on a loaded chamber of any 1911.

7. Banned
    Cocked and locked. However hammer down doesn't rest on the firing pin like some people are saying as long as it is at half cock. I keep one in the chamber on half cock when at my house not on my person, cocked and locked when I carry.

8. Member
    Remington R1.
    Carried condition one.
    Custom IWB Leather/kydex holster with weapon cant.
    Volund Gearworks custom Atlas Cobra belt.

Could wear this with a T-shirt and shorts no problem.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

9. Member
    Cocked and locked with a quality holster

10. Member
    I will not carry cocked or with one in the chamber. I also wont carry without a thumb safety. My thought is that if someone comes up behind me with a weapon its already too late. Take my wallet keys whatever. If someone pulls a weapon in front of me its probably too late as well.

Just my uneducated opinions.. to each their own.

I did see a youtube video of a gun I thought was pretty click. It was designed so that if you were carrying it on your hip in this special holster you would push the gun through the holster which took the safety off and also chambered it. Pretty slick design.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I will not carry cocked or with one in the chamber. I also wont carry without a thumb safety. My thought is that if someone comes up behind me with a weapon its already too late. Take my wallet keys whatever. If someone pulls a weapon in front of me its probably too late as well.

Just my uneducated opinions.. to each their own.

I did see a youtube video of a gun I thought was pretty click. It was designed so that if you were carrying it on your hip in this special holster you would push the gun through the holster which took the safety off and also chambered it. Pretty slick design.
    Then why do you carry one at all?

12. Member
    Waiting on an answer as I am curious too.

Some of us practice situational awareness.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassmanZF6 View Post
    Then why do you carry one at all?
    Mass shootings... running trucks through crowds...Seeing someone from a distance getting robbed etc etc. Many different reasons and most I believe I can chamber in time. But I dont pretend to be an old west cowboy who can pull fast enough with a gun behind me or in my face. As mentioned above I tend to practice situational awareness and go with odds. The odds of me pulling even "cocked and locked" fast enough with a guy in my face robbing me is doubtful. Even if I kill him and I survive who knows how messed up ill be. Better to just give him my crap and live to see family later.

My opinion take it for what you paid for it.

The “cocked and loaded” is really just a mental thing as the gun I carry has a thumb safety and a grip safety. Probably carrying cocked and loaded is way safer than a striker fired pistol even without a safety. I’ve gotten more used to it now and been practicing at the range a lot. I have a Sig P229 and a CZ P-01 also that I carry sometimes and neither of those have a safety but are dual action.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Yep that's how I roll as well. I carry a Kimber Micro 9. A mini 1911! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    When ever I carry I don't have one in the pipe. This is a personal choice and goes along with my lifestyle, I am not in risky situations and I have enough situational awareness that I would have time to rack the slide. Now if my surroundings change I may start with one in the pipe but I see no reason to have the hammer back as it will cock when you pull the trigger. Sure it wound be as smooth but it may help you not pul the trigger prematurely. Any which way you should train a reasonable amount with whatever plan you take.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    When ever I carry I don't have one in the pipe. This is a personal choice and goes along with my lifestyle, I am not in risky situations and I have enough situational awareness that I would have time to rack the slide. Now if my surroundings change I may start with one in the pipe but I see no reason to have the hammer back as it will cock when you pull the trigger. Sure it wound be as smooth but it may help you not pul the trigger prematurely. Any which way you should train a reasonable amount with whatever plan you take.
    Different style gun, 1911's or 2011's are single action, pulling to trigger won't cock the hammer. I wouldn't carry cocked on a different style, dual action trigger.

For those that don't even carry with one in the chamber, why not? Is it just a safety thing, not that comfortable? I know it's just a personal choice but just wondering why? I think there was some confusion by some on the hammer cocked, I was referring to a 1911, single action, style gun. You'd either have to re-rack it or pull the hammer back if one is already in the chamber. I think pulling the hammer back, especially in a stressful situation, would not be very safe and one could easily let it slip and the gun fire.
    Last edited by C130; 10-22-2021 at 10:32 AM.

The 1911 was intended to carry cocked and locked. Even if the safety is bumped off you still have another active safety in the beaver tail grip. I never carry anything without one in the chamber you never know when things will go bad and you may not be able to chamber a round in time.

18. Member
    If you're uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, you shouldn't be carrying

C&L with safety engaged on a daily basis. My holsters have a retention strap between the hammer and the slide. By definition defensive carry means you may be drawing while your off hand is busy protecting you from further assault- you will not have the ability to rack the slide, with two hands anyways.

You chose a wonderful gun with the C2. I encourage you to get to the range and do drills that require repeated draws from the holster of your choice so you get used to the function and purpose of it (draw, disengage safety, two rounds on target, scan for threats, reengage safety, holster and repeat). Save the magazine rips for some other time when ammo comes back into heavy stock and after you have developed muscle and dexterous memory.

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Going off script here, why carry a heavy weapon today when you can carry a smaller gun with more rounds? A p356 or hellcat with almost twice as many rounds in half the size. Simple point and pull. Why carry 7 rounds when you can have 12-14 rounds in a smaller gun? IF you dont trained regularly to put the shots on target, more is better. If you are going to carry I would suggest shoot some IPDA matches or other to get the blood up instead of of just shooting targets at a range. 1911 are cool guns, but not for self defiance. Just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast