Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Going off script here, why carry a heavy weapon today when you can carry a smaller gun with more rounds? A p356 or hellcat with almost twice as many rounds in half the size. Simple point and pull. Why carry 7 rounds when you can have 12-14 rounds in a smaller gun? IF you dont trained regularly to put the shots on target, more is better. If you are going to carry I would suggest shoot some IPDA matches or other to get the blood up instead of of just shooting targets at a range. 1911 are cool guns, but not for self defiance. Just my 2 cents.
    9 rounds of 45 ACP is more than adequite for most situations.

2. Member
    Going off script here, why carry a heavy weapon today when you can carry a smaller gun with more rounds? A p356 or hellcat with almost twice as many rounds in half the size. Simple point and pull. Why carry 7 rounds when you can have 12-14 rounds in a smaller gun? IF you dont trained regularly to put the shots on target, more is better. If you are going to carry I would suggest shoot some IPDA matches or other to get the blood up instead of of just shooting targets at a range. 1911 are cool guns, but not for self defiance. Just my 2 cents.
    It takes twice as many 9mm rounds compared to 45acp........

Asked a few questions ago why i/we wouldn't have one in the pipe, my answer is my situational awareness, my surroundings starting with North Dakota, my choices of where I go and how I do it. (If I were to imagine 1000 ways I may need a gun only 3 of them I would wish I had one in the pipe.) ammo not in the pipe is basically non lethal, one in the pipe is definitely lethal. Yes I understand controlling variables and safe gun habits/practices.

I have shot many thousands of rounds in training I am not new to the game. I am not scared of the choices made in life, I am prepared for all choices and the consequences. So we can't say this is a comfort thing.

I am not a 1911/2011 connoisseur and I apologize about not knowing they are single action. I have definitely shot one that was double action. But for me not loaded in the pipe I'd have to rack the slide, cocking the hammer.

Next is the off topic comment to why carry a 7pound single stack. I agree I prefer double stack polymer pistol that is 2x capacity and slightly smaller. In a stressful excited moment of life or death fight or flee choices all fine motor skills and accuracy are greatly affected. Adequate training is our best friend but most of us lie to ours selves and claim to be good to go when in reality we are a possible liability.

I hope and pray for all of us that none of us need to use a weapon to defend ourselves/family or other people. Be safe everyone.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Banned
    1911s aren't double action if the hammer is down you have to rack the slide or pull back the hammer with your thumb, evey time you shoot the slide cocks the hammer back.

5. Banned
    LOL

My Primary carry gun is P365. I honestly love it and it checks every box for me in a carry gun. However, I do not agree 1911’s are not good for self defense. The 1911 is inherently more accurate being single action. While I can keep everything in the 9 ring on the P365 I can have one ragged hole with the 1911. I can also more accurately double tap shots with the 1911. You loose accuracy and have more recoil with these micro compacts and practicing with them is a must to get and stay accurate with them. I carry 8+1 in a Kimber CDP and while it is a little heavier it carries comfortably; more so then some double stack guns IMO. I am not terribly out numbered in number of rounds compared to my P365. I look at the number of rounds differently also; My carry gun is a tool to get me out of a bad situation as I escape, not to stay and fight as a police officer would. Both do have their positives and negatives though and it is nice that we have the choice to choose what fits us best.

7. Member
    Maybe because the 1911 might fit the hand better than other guns. Its the first 2 rounds that matter. If it takes you 12/14 rounds to hit your target, the other 10 rounds might not matter, or the 15 magazines in your pocket.

2011’s are updated 1911’s, double stack magazine. I have 16 round and 21 round magazines so that's not too bad in a gun the size of my Staccato C2. It shoots way better than a Hellcat or Sig 365 which are nice guns but not a comparison to my C2. The C2 is pretty lightweight also, very comfortable to carry. I carry a Sig P229 Legion also which is one of the best shooting guns I’ve shot.
    Last edited by C130; 10-30-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123