Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1995 merc xri 200 issues

Hello allScreenshot_20210912-090951_Photos.jpg
    I started having issues with my 1995 merc , rough idle no power but starts right up
    Screenshot_20210912-090951_Photos.jpg
    I fish a lot of ponds and don't run the gas engine that much , 14hrs in the last 5 years so I usually let the gas gage get to an 1/8 of a tank then put in 5 gallons at a time as apposed filling it at the beginning of the season and come fall I'm dealing with 6 month old gas
    I drained all the gas ,changed both fuel / water filters 10 gallons of fresh 89oct gas, new plugs , checked spark at each cylinder ( hold plug 1/8" of engine and look for spark to jump ), compression test

Those numbers haven't changed in 5 years
    Any idea what I should be looking at next ?
    Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Are those cold compression numbers or, warm engine, throttle wide open, with a “hot” battery?
    I'd Rather be Fishing

3. Member
    The engine was running on the pond trailered 2 miles to my driveway so warm at best
    I didn't do anything with the throttle just turned the key with no plugs in the engine
    What exactly is a hot battery ?
    The battery sat on a trickle charger all night started the boat twice on the pond and then turned the engine over 6 times with no plugs in it

4. Member
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Thanks didn't see that. Will report back

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    20210915_151127.jpg
    I let it run for 10 minutes with the muffs on , the water peeing out the little hole was definitely warm, throttle wide open and fully charged cranking battery still on the battery charger while cranking

8. Member
    20210915_150121.jpg
    One thing I noticed that every plug I pulled while doing the compression test was all the plugs I pulled had oil on them except #6 that was nice and clean so I swapped a different plug in that had oil on it fired it up and let it run for a bit, pulled it again and the #6 plug was nice and clean again

9. Member
    20210915_152337.jpg
    Notice the water or condensation on the plug.smell like a head gasket to me

10. Member
    20210912_075611.jpg
    20210912_075605.jpg
    While poking around I noticed this brass tee fitting not attached to anything, what exactly is this ?

11. Member
    would replace both sides-inspect cyls -hurry before it rusts internals/that is vent for oil line leave it open
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Thank you for the reply
    While doing the head gaskets is there anything else besides the gaskets I should replace, inspect ,clean while I'm there

13. Member
    Thank you for the reply
    While doing the head gaskets is there anything else besides the gaskets I should replace, inspect ,clean while I'm there

14. Member
    I have rebuilt the engine in my old jeep so I am assuming that I am going to start torquing the head bolt in middle and work my way to the ends alternating left to right and also work my way up to the final torque setting in stages ( 1st @ 30ft,lbs 2nd @50 3rd at 75 example )
    Also what would be the final torque setting ? Quick Google search says 30 ft/lbs then turn 90*, is the 90* necessary if I am reusing the head bolts or is that with brand new bolts ? Also any type of sealant on the head gasket ?
    Last edited by 86cj7; 09-17-2021 at 04:33 AM.

15. Member
    no sealant, new bolts

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86cj7 View Post
    I have rebuilt the engine in my old jeep so I am assuming that I am going to start torquing the head bolt in middle and work my way to the ends alternating left to right and also work my way up to the final torque setting in stages ( 1st @ 30ft,lbs 2nd @50 3rd at 75 example )
    Also what would be the final torque setting ? Quick Google search says 30 ft/lbs then turn 90*, is the 90* necessary if I am reusing the head bolts or is that with brand new bolts ? Also any type of sealant on the head gasket ?
    sequence printed right on each head

17. Member
    I saw that
    The new gasket will be here on Tues, Friday I went ahead and pulled both heads all the bolts came out none broken ( good day )put it all back together

18. Member

19. Member
    Ok gaskets replaced, still having the bogging issue ,
    I put a I inductive timing light on all six plug wire and seem to be getting spark as well as holding the plug near the engine with visible spark seen, I bought a fuel pressure Guage kit and I'm selling 25-27 psi at the Schrader valve is this acceptable?

20. Member
    if gage is right NO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast