Thread: Bayou pigeon

Bayou pigeon

Just a heads up for any that didn’t know already…

I hadn’t launched at pigeon in probably 20 years or more.. used to just run from Belle river..

you absolutely can NOT take the old split to big pigeon from lil pigeon coming from the launch…. Used to be able to run it staying on plane.. do NOT try it.. logs and trash at the mouth and less than a foot of water… gets no better once in it… (I did run on plane a lil ways but once I shut down, it was a wrap)

I made it in my lil boat but only barely and really really fought it… I wish I would’ve just gone around but now I know.. I may have not believed it if someone told me…

my boat drafts about 6 inches floating and I drug bottom a lot.. it’s no water all the way to where bayou mallet comes in…

I did catch a nice 4 pounder and a couple other decent fish but I didn’t launch until 5pm.. staying the night, me and the pup just sleep in the truck… gonna hit it again in the morning before the rain sets in…

2. Member
    Marshman, how’d the water look? Any fish kills due to the storm?

3. Member
    No fish kills that I’ve seen.. caught plenty bass, so, they’re healthy…
    lot of dirty water… I found pretty/beautiful clean green water in some canals but no bites… all my bites were in mouths of canals or in main bayou where the water was clean enough for me to fish… Had boats a lil too stacked/crowded for my taste today where I caught the 4 pounder yesterday so, I found another area and caught pretty good but my pup was getting hot, had to go..

4. Member
    Great to hear. Thanks for the report. I’m hoping Bayou Black/Gibson faired okay.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mo View Post
    Great to hear. Thanks for the report. I’m hoping Bayou Black/Gibson faired okay.

good luck… the bass in my marsh vanished.. I don’t think they died, I think they just scattered with the surge… gonna be a bit..

im working on just hitting other areas in la that I know for now… Sucks because my boat trailer is so rotten and isn’t solid enough to be traveling around the state but, it’s what I have…

6. Member
    LiL Mo, how'd ya'll make out for the storm? I was in Thibodaux the last 2 weekends doing cleanup in the Brule...they got power yesterday afternoon and debris just got picked up a little ago...whoo hoo!

7. Member
    1eyeseas, we were very lucky and blessed. I only had a few shingles off the roof and some siding off my shop. Two good-sized trees went down in the yard but thankfully didn’t land on anything. Power was restored this past Friday afternoon. I have a few repairs to do or get done and waiting for schools to open back up. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    Just a heads up for any that didn’t know already…

I hadn’t launched at pigeon in probably 20 years or more.. used to just run from Belle river..

you absolutely can NOT take the old split to big pigeon from lil pigeon coming from the launch…. Used to be able to run it staying on plane.. do NOT try it.. logs and trash at the mouth and less than a foot of water… gets no better once in it… (I did run on plane a lil ways but once I shut down, it was a wrap)

I made it in my lil boat but only barely and really really fought it… I wish I would’ve just gone around but now I know.. I may have not believed it if someone told me…

my boat drafts about 6 inches floating and I drug bottom a lot.. it’s no water all the way to where bayou mallet comes in…

I did catch a nice 4 pounder and a couple other decent fish but I didn’t launch until 5pm.. staying the night, me and the pup just sleep in the truck… gonna hit it again in the morning before the rain sets in…
    I have a place there so if you need to know where you can run and can't message me on FB.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer22 View Post
    I have a place there so if you need to know where you can run and can't message me on FB.

I’m already back home… thanks..

I was surprised at how silted in the east side is…. A couple of banks I used to fish in little pigeon before the crossover had zero water on them…. Crossover is sketchy…. My boat ran it fine but, I’d think twice in a bigger boat…. Water dropped a few inches from Saturday to Sunday…

Yep, crossover been sketchy for a while. Have a feeling it is about to be on a rise though, lol.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr900racer22 View Post
    Yep, crossover been sketchy for a while. Have a feeling it is about to be on a rise though, lol.

im kinda silently praying it doesn’t rise just yet…. I’d really like to go hit it a couple days after all this rain gets out of here…

I wasted my last trip over there on the south end…. I see a lot more I like in that pigeon area… I didn’t even go out to grand lake..

12. Member
    Sorry that I didn’t put the silted in area at the mouth of big pigeon in my last response prior to Ida. I have been surprised about that area because small tugs pushing single barges used to go that way to grand lake.
    I haven’t been fishing since the storm. Fifteen days without power (and feel blessed that was all), cleaning debris and cutting a lot of trees