Thread: Buchanan Lake

USA Buchanan Lake

Hey all,
    Buddy and I would like to fish Buchanan in March 2022 and was hoping to get some good feed back on good camping areas. We will be either renting a cabin or have a rental RV from one of the local vendors that will deliver to the site we chose. I just looked at Big Chief and it does not look bad. Would appreciate feed back if there is anyone with experience at any of the sites.

Thank you and remember the fallen and the heroes from this tragic date.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Buchanan is one you never hear anything about on here for some reason ...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Buchanan is one you never hear anything about on here for some reason ...
    I hope not seeing much on Buchanan on these forums is not a bad thing ..
    I am sure there are plenty of fish in Buchanan.
    We just normally hit Belton and Stillhouse lakes as they a 20 min drive and we going to Somerville this weekend for tent camping and fishing.
    Buchanan is our next choice as we do not have to hit I35 and it is only an hour rather than a 2 hour drive. We are planning to hit up lakes east of Dallas (Fork etc) soon as my buddy and I both work at and live near Fort Hood.

4. Member
    It’s been a lotta years since I fished Buchanan, but caught a good number there fishing some bluff walls. It’s probably better known for its striper population. We stayed in a cabin up on the NW side of the lake, near Tow. It wasn’t great, but it was acceptable.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    I hope not seeing much on Buchanan on these forums is not a bad thing ..
    Could well be ... OH Ivie is one of my home lakes and it has been hammered this year.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Could well be ... OH Ivie is one of my home lakes and it has been hammered this year.
    Ivie is another lake on my list - it is only 2.5 hrs directly west of my house and another lake where I do not need to get on I35 to get to

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    Ivie is another lake on my list - it is only 2.5 hrs directly west of my house and another lake where I do not need to get on I35 to get to
    It's been tough over the summer.

8. Member
    I did pretty good post freeze until a few months later when all that rain hit that flooded the lakes and since then I have not done well at my 2 local lakes (Belton and Stillhouse)

20 years ago I used to frequent Buchanan at least once a year. Usually stayed at Hi Line cabins/ RV park. Caught some good bass there. Top water bite used to be phenomenal.

10. Member
    Buch can be awesome that time of year. Just keep an eye on the weather. It can get pretty nautical in a good north or south wind.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    Buch can be awesome that time of year. Just keep an eye on the weather. It can get pretty nautical in a good north or south wind.
    Thank you!! I do use the windy app to see current and forecasted winds as I have an 18' aluminum bass boat and try to stay off main lake waters with 2' whitecaps and/or 15+ mph winds.
    My buddy and I reserved a spot at Rocky Creek Park at Sommerville Lake this past weekend and weather was 10% chance of sporatic rain and 5-10mph winds from Friday thru Sunday.. we got there Friday and it was nice all day.. Saturday was very nice in the morning, but that 10% chance turned into a heck of a thunderstorm with 30+mph winds that tore up our tent camp site and since my boat was up at the campsite shoreline.. the rain and breakers going over the stern put my bilge pump to work haha.. we ended up leaving a day early.. but still enjoyed our time there.

12. Member
    Got air bob if you want to go that route

13. Member
    Bmb