Thread: Rubbing Squeal

Rubbing Squeal

2019 Ranger dual torsion axle surge brake trailer with parking brake. Recently, each time I pull my boat, for the first time each use, there is squealing when towing at slower speeds (25mph or less). The squealing increases as my vehicle speed increases, but seems to dissipate once I reach 25mph or so. The squealing is only present when moving forward. If I put the truck in reverse and back up, the squealing is not present. It squeals going from my home to the marina about a 10-to-15 minute drive, but never on the return trip. I have wondered in submersing it in the water has something to do with the squeal going away. The last two trips I have locked the brakes out and stopped using the parking brake as I thought it may be brake related; however, this did not change anything, the squeal is still there. Any ideas on what to check next would be very helpful. Thank you.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My guess would be pads rubbing on rusty rotors
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    My guess would be pads rubbing on rusty rotors
    Forgive me, but if the brakes are "locked out" how would they be rubbing? Isn't there clearance between the pads and rotors when not engaged?
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Basser View Post
    Forgive me, but if the brakes are "locked out" how would they be rubbing? Isn't there clearance between the pads and rotors when not engaged?
    No, there is never any clearance between the pads and rotors. The pads always rub on the rotors. The lockout prevents pressure from being applied, but doesn’t keep the pads from touching the rotor.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    No, there is never any clearance between the pads and rotors. The pads always rub on the rotors. The lockout prevents pressure from being applied, but doesn’t keep the pads from touching the rotor.
    Well, I wish it was as simple as rust, but I am not sure it is. I went out this morning to inspect all four rotors, and on the external sides there was very little rust if any. I did not pull the tires off, so I could not see the inside. Took the trailer for a quick drive and the squeal was there before I even got out of the driveway, except for in reverse. I drove in reverse for about 50 yards and no squeal at all. The trailer only has about 5000 miles on it so excessive rust would have made sense, but there is no rust. A rock would explain it, but the squeal would not go away if there was a rock stuck between the pad and rotor; right? Due to the low mileage, I do not think it would be the indicator tab rubbing due to worn pads (unless the Ranger Trailer pads are complete crap); and wouldn't the indicator tab rub in reverse as well? Back to the drawing board, I guess.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Maybe jacks each wheel off the ground and spin it to see if it’s a particular wheel, then take a close look at that one. Pads come apart and calipers come loose.

There will be a rubbing noise on all of them.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Maybe jacks each wheel off the ground and spin it to see if it’s a particular wheel, then take a close look at that one. Pads come apart and calipers come loose. There will be a rubbing noise on all of them.
    OK, found the issue. Port side forward barely moves (takes a lot of effort to get it to budge) and starboard side forward is not much better (spins about 3/4 turn freely and then stops). Both rear tires spin freely. Do I need 2 new calipers?
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    OK, found the issue. Port side forward barely moves (takes a lot of effort to get it to budge) and starboard side forward is not much better (spins about 3/4 turn freely and then stops). Both rear tires spin freely. Do I need 2 new calipers?
    I’d concentrate on port side. How does the pad thickness there compare to the others?
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I’d concentrate on port side. How does the pad thickness there compare to the others?
    Pad is slightly more worn (thinner, but still there), just barely wants to turn; like the caliper is stuck closed.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Pad is slightly more worn (thinner, but still there), just barely wants to turn; like the caliper is stuck closed.
    If you are comfortable pulling and disassembling the caliper and bleeding the brakes, you might have a pin with some rust or other crud on it that keeps it from retracting.
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    If you are comfortable pulling and disassembling the caliper and bleeding the brakes, you might have a pin with some rust or other crud on it that keeps it from retracting.
    While I had a forward and rear tire off I noticed the rear calipers are still nice and new looking (shiny zinc) while the front calipers are "brown" and look like the gone to hell and back (rust brown). My neighbor came over and looked at the caliper for the wheel that won't turn and said it looks that way from all the break dust and heat and needs to be replaced. Ordered a new caliper and now I am hoping I did not waste $120.00.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

12. Member
    While I had a forward and rear tire off I noticed the rear calipers are still nice and new looking (shiny zinc) while the front calipers are "brown" and look like the gone to hell and back (rust brown). My neighbor came over and looked at the caliper for the wheel that won't turn and said it looks that way from all the break dust and heat and needs to be replaced. Ordered a new caliper and now I am hoping I did not waste $120.00.
    Well, turns out it was brake pads; thanks for the info CATFAN. The pads on the two forward wheels were separated from the backing plates and broke in two pieces. Tire shop fixed that with new pads all around; however, I am now worried about the torsion axles because they jacked the trailer up on each side by the axle (right behind the tires). When I drove the trailer home (about 8 miles) I did not feel any vibration or anything that seemed off; other than the squealing is gone :) , but never the less, I am now worried about bent axles. Is it possible to raise by the axles and not bend them? I hope so.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Well, turns out it was brake pads; thanks for the info CATFAN. The pads on the two forward wheels were separated from the backing plates and broke in two pieces. Tire shop fixed that with new pads all around; however, I am now worried about the torsion axles because they jacked the trailer up on each side by the axle (right behind the tires). When I drove the trailer home (about 8 miles) I did not feel any vibration or anything that seemed off; other than the squealing is gone :) , but never the less, I am now worried about bent axles. Is it possible to raise by the axles and not bend them? I hope so.
    That’s where I jack mine up. I use a block of wood or a hockey puck to keep sharp edges off the axle.

Glad you found the problem. IIRC, Ranger had a problem with whoever supplied the pads. You might get some pads or even reimbursed for the repair if you talk to them. But maybe not.

At least you can fish without worrying about the trailer now!
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    This crap has been going on way too long. Here is a pic from my 2015 620FS. Pad bonding failed on 3 of the 4 calipers on that trailer. I have a feeling my 2020 621FS has the same issue. I have the exact same noise and symptoms with my current trailer as noted by the OP.
    20210630_150911.jpg

15. Member
    Guys just go to the auto parts store and buy the pads that are riveted so they wont separate. I had the same problem with 3 out of 4 caliper pads becoming delaminated because the glue didn't hold. Forget about the organic pads BUY SEMI METALLICS THAT ARE RIVITED. I know they recommend organic pads because of rust. However I have run semi metallic pads for 3 years without an ounce of problems! If cars can use them so can a fresh water used trailer.

I have read that the pads for a 97 - 2000 Kia Sephia would work on the UFP DB-35 calipers. You could take one of the old ones to the auto supply and compare.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    I have read that the pads for a 97 - 2000 Kia Sephia would work on the UFP DB-35 calipers. You could take one of the old ones to the auto supply and compare.
    CORRECT, you have to cut the wear indicator off but thats easy on a bench grinder. Perfect fit, and they actually don't fall apart!