HDS9 gen3 sonar stuck in stop mode

What's the fix for this? It's a so called good used unit was updated to 18.2 and Lowrance walked me through a reboot when first installed. Now this. Tried shutting off and unplugging during tournament. It corrected it for a short time then locked up again. It's linked to a 9 gen3 with color chart option micro sd card. My cranking battery is fine.

2. Member
    Does it stop when your chart card is removed?
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Does it stop when your chart card is removed?
    The card is in the console unit and linked with ethernet cable to the bow that is having the problem. Thanks

4. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Both units have the same Version 18.2 Application 60.1.142 all other number are identical except Serial and Barcode as the should be. So if I do the hard reset without saving waypoints on the "new unit at bow", shouldn't the "helm unit my original" containing the C-Map mocro SD card and waypoints. Shouldn't that information all transfer to the new bow unit since it's linked with ethernet? With that if my sonar is still showing Stop Mode and will not clear with a simple screen touch any other suggestions. Thank You Team Colibri

6. Member
    Just checking:
    You have no modules or units in this network apart from two HDS Gen 3s?
    You have overlaid input voltage on both units and get good voltage with everything else in the boat shut off?
    You did the test Marc suggested and removed all memorycards from both units?
    You have tried to disconnect ethernet to see if the problem is still there?
    You did a hard reset on both units after updating them?

#1 no other units in network. #2 not sure how to test voltage. #3 will check not done yet. #4 will check not done. #5 not done. Will advise of findings.

I did some checking this morning and found my transducer was not pinging. When I originally installed the unit I plugged the trolling motor transducer into the outermost outlet. I removed and reinstalled it into the outlet next door and now the transducer is pinging and the sounder appears to be working normal. I do have a question though, on the Console my original unit Source is displayed as "This Unit". Should the new Bow unit Source be set on "This Unit" or HDS9? Thanks Team C. I suppose it's like expecting a refrigerator to work with the plug out.Okay did a little searching and found out what it's suppose to be. Will go in and name each unit to make it Idiot Proof.
    Last edited by gaston13; 09-13-2021 at 10:51 AM.

9. Member
    HDS Gen 3 (unlike HDS Carbon and Live) should have its 2D-transducer (like HST-WSBL, 83/200-HDI etc) in the blue port. The only exeption from the rule is if you are using TotalScan, that goes to the black port even if this transducer has a 2D-element, but with this transducer in use no other transducer should be connected to the HDS Gen 3 (in the blue port).

This is how you overlay input-voltage on your screen:

(English language, english subtitles are also available.)

Even if the issue now seems to be resolved, I highly recommend adding this overlay to your most used views, as this provides critical information to you. :)

I just added input voltage to both units. Great to have this. My fully charged lead acid X2 Power brand battery shows 11.8v at both HDS 9's. Checking the battery with a meter it shows 12.8v direct on the battery. Since both units show 11.8 I'll check my units power connection to the battery. Team C. do you know of any problems adding a NEP-2 network expansion port-2 to my current setup of two HDS 9 Gen3's along with and additional HDS 7 Gen3 at my console? All will be updated to the 18.2 and the HDS 7 will only have power and Ethernet connected. I would upgrade the wiring with a on/off circuit breaker switch with 8ga. marine grade wire from the battery through switch to a Blue sea fuse panel close to the console units and run 10ga marine grade wires to power and ground for each individual graph. Thanks again

11. Member
    I have never used a NEP in any of my boats, but I see no reason for issues with your plan. :)

What you are seeing with lower voltage shown on the units then when you measure directly at the battery is called voltagedrop. A litle drop (0,1-0,4V) is "natural" and can be caused by things like natural voltagedrop in the battery when a load is applied (your units beeing one source for load) or a slight variance between the voltmeter in your units and the one you used for measuring at the battery. Another "natural" source is the battery itself, a battery with som sulfation can be measured at top voltage without a load, but the voltage will drop faster than the original curve for that battery if the battery has suffered from sulfatation. (Something all lead-based batteries do over time, even if they are properly taken care of.)

Your voltagedrop is quite high. This can come from a worn (or misused) battery, bad connections (switches, breakers, terminals fuses etc) or to thin wiring. In order to check the battery it has to be load-tested, something just about any battery-dealer can do for you. As for wiring etc, this might be worth a read:
    https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...r-my-unit.html

The voltagedrop itself is not a problem, your units will still operate at 11.8V. But the problem is that since you have already "lost" 1V, and the voltage of the battery will drop during a day, you might go below 11,8V after just a few hours of fishing - that can give you quite a few issues with your units not working as they should.

Appreciate your assistance would like to send you some Grog or Beer.