225 Mercury 220 ProXS ignition/starting issue

S/N 3B058265
    Brand new Phoenix bass boat. Issue started off with first start of the morning I would get a "click" from the engine when turning the key. After a couple times it would turn over as it should and be fine the rest of the day. Phoenix mailed me a new ignition switch assembly. The problem has gotten much worse. This morning it took 2 minutes for the engine to turn over after turning the key several times. It also now acts up throughout the day as before it was only first start in the morning. Sometimes it will start to turn over and die before it starts. I swapped out the ignition switch assembly Phoenix sent me a month ago and it did not fix the problem. Yes everything is under warranty but just curious if anyone can help me diagnose this problem. Thanks.

You already posted this a little while back but never came back with the outcome, have a look at this http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1137020
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Thank you for that information. I will check the battery connections. As far as the starting sequence mentioned I have tried everything. There are times where it acts normal.

4. Member
    Update on battery connection. I think they are good. I was able to snug them up a little more but I surely would not consider them loose by any means.

Try cycling the kill switch a couple times? Mine acted wierd one time after i accidentally got up with the lanyard still attached. Like it didnt fully go back to run after i reset it. These engines act different when the lanyard is pulled compared to the old 2 strokes

That damn lanyard, it did it 3 times yesterday, or maybe it’s my memory?

7. Member
    I will check that out. Thanks

8. Member
    It has been determined that the starter is bad. This thing is only 2 months old.

That’s why you have warranty, glad they found it for you

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not something we see very often- but certainly possible. Glad they're able to get it taken care of for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor