Possible to troubleshoot Tach issue?

Can I troubleshoot to find what is causing the elevated idle RPM or is that something that will require somebody to 'plug in' to find the issue?

Serial number is 0G842489
    Last edited by BassnChris; 09-11-2021 at 02:44 PM.

2. Member
    Is the tach incorrect or you can hear your motor has an elevated idle problem. If tach, is it a digital tach. If if is an analog tach, there is a small dial behind it. Note what number it is on and rotate back and forth 1/2 dozen times. Then put it back on the number it was on. You likely have a little corrosion built up right there. Mine just did the same thing and it has been 3 years since I rotated it as noted above. Back to normal again.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Is the tach incorrect or you can hear your motor has an elevated idle problem. If tach, is it a digital tach. If if is an analog tach, there is a small dial behind it. Note what number it is on and rotate back and forth 1/2 dozen times. Then put it back on the number it was on. You likely have a little corrosion built up right there. Mine just did the same thing and it has been 3 years since I rotated it as noted above. Back to normal again.
    I have a analog tach. I think it is idling a little fast because it is hard to get out of forward and reverse.
    The tach shows 2k RPM at idle but it is not idling that high (by ear) in my opinion.

I will try the rotating and see if that does the trick.

Thank you

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    I have a analog tach. I think it is idling a little fast because it is hard to get out of forward and reverse.
    The tach shows 2k RPM at idle but it is not idling that high (by ear) in my opinion.

I will try the rotating and see if that does the trick.

Thank you
    it will likely solve the issue. BUT don't forget to note where it was pointing to before you start rotating. If it is off by one space, the Tach will show about 200 RPMs more or less than where you should be so this is critical to mark where the dial was pointing to before rotating back and forth.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    it will likely solve the issue. BUT don't forget to note where it was pointing to before you start rotating. If it is off by one space, the Tach will show about 200 RPMs more or less than where you should be so this is critical to mark where the dial was pointing to before rotating back and forth.

Thank you......will do.
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

6. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    send to faria-beede, CT if needed

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can verify with an inductive pickup tachometer (such as many timing lights have).

Note that the shift position switch plays an important role in being able to get the engine in and out of gear (especially when in the water).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    There's an adjustment knob on the back of an analog tach. Faria will tell you every tach needs to be dialed in with an RPM gun. They mailed me a minute plastic tool that helped do so.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 09-24-2021 at 04:10 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Can verify with an inductive pickup tachometer (such as many timing lights have).

Note that the shift position switch plays an important role in being able to get the engine in and out of gear (especially when in the water).
    I looked through my service manual and could not find any reference to a shift position switch. I'm sure I missed it some how.
    Can you tell me what it looks like and where it is located?

Thank you
    Chris
    1999 TR-21

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Located on the shift linkage, inside the engine cowling. Two-wire switch (open in gear, closed in neutral).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Located on the shift linkage, inside the engine cowling. Two-wire switch (open in gear, closed in neutral).
    I think I have been pressing down on my hotfoot while starting causing issue with TPS/idle.
    I took the boat out Saturday and keep my foot off the hot foot and idle was fine.

The problem I am having is that it is hard to get back into neutral from both forward and reverse.
    It Shifts easily while engine is off with someone turning the prop slowly.

It always shifts into gear easily.

Any ideas what I should look at to identify and resolve the issue?

Thanks
    1999 TR-21

12. Member
    MERC HIPERF GEAR LUBE in it ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    MERC HIPERF GEAR LUBE in it ???????
    Yepper I do.
    1999 TR-21

14. Member
    possible clutch or propshaft problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    The only 2 wire switch I see is in this picture. Is that it or am I looking in wrong place? Port side.

20211005_171953.jpg
    1999 TR-21

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    The only 2 wire switch I see is in this picture. Is that it or am I looking in wrong place? Port side.

20211005_171953.jpg
    This is the shift position switch. Somebody went over kill on the grease. I would clean it all off and start over.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    This is the shift position switch. Somebody went over kill on the grease. I would clean it all off and start over.
    I will get the grease cleaned up.....PO must of gooped it up.
    Guessing should just be a light coating of grease?

I should be able to check switch for continuity to determine if bad?

And with motor running in water if I push the contact plunger it should retard the motor if it is working, right?

Thanks
    1999 TR-21

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either monitor the switch function on a suitable diagnostic tool, OR with an ohm meter. Trying to confirm proper function by "ear" is deceiving.