Tatula Elite frog rod vs Zolo Toadface

Which one of these for frogs and why? Would love to hear opinions on both please and if you fished both, how they compare? Thanks

Zolo Toadface is a stiff rod. It does not do well with light frogs.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I prefer the ish frog rod. More power too it.
    Toadface seems too gutless to me if your making long casts over slop. If your target throwing em up around lighter cover, toadface is fine.

I do prefer the 7'2 length of the toadface compared to the 7'4 length of the ish rod, but got over it pretty quick.
    The 7'1 H tatula elite rod is also a good frog rod if you want the shorter length, it is a little stiffer in the tip though.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    Toadface seems too gutless to me if your making long casts over slop. If your target throwing em up around lighter cover, toadface is fine.

I do prefer the 7'2 length of the toadface compared to the 7'4 length of the ish rod, but got over it pretty quick.
    The 7'1 H tatula elite rod is also a good frog rod if you want the shorter length, it is a little stiffer in the tip though.
    My opinion is the same. The Toadface is good for open cover/docks/light cover, but that’s as far as it can go in my opinion. The Elite can do it all, it’s just a little longer. It can also do so much more than just throw a frog too.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

5. Member
    I tried these same two rods out for frog fishing. They are both great choices but I went with the ALX Toadface. I liked the action, length and versatility a little better for my style of fishing. Again it is a personal choice.

6. Member
    Whoa! Stiff and gutless seem like contradictory terms for the same rod.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Zolo Toadface is a stiff rod. It does not do well with light frogs.
    I don't get this I can throw a buzz toad a half mile with my toadface ... I prefer toadface to all my frog rods I have has
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post

Agreed. The Toadface is a nice lighter cover frog rod, but it's out gunned when it comes to thick and heavy stuff. Toadface handles buzz toads very nicely. The Tatula Elite is more of a true heavy cover frog rod, and it's also noticeably more sensitive and makes a really nice jig/worm rod for deep water/bigger jigs/plastics.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Agreed. The Toadface is a nice lighter cover frog rod, but it's out gunned when it comes to thick and heavy stuff. Toadface handles buzz toads very nicely. The Tatula Elite is more of a true heavy cover frog rod, and it's also noticeably more sensitive and makes a really nice jig/worm rod for deep water/bigger jigs/plastics.
    I always feel like the Toadface is poorly named (and I own one and probably too many Enox at this point). It's a spectacular swim jig rod at it's price point, but I will never understand how it got so much play in the Carolinas as 'the frog rod'.

Let me go hide from the tomatoes about to be thrown my way.

10. Member
    The 7-4 elite Ish is the best frog rod I've used/owned. Will absolute launch a frog and plenty of power for my fishing areas. I've taken the advice of others to try a levante perfect pitch and expride, but both fell short for my desires. Ive never fished any alx rods.

11. Member
    Tatula elite hands down, and it's incredibly versatile

I've pulled plenty of great fish out of very heavy cover with the Toadface. It's a phenomenal rod that performs well in heavy cover.

Frog fish (Spro Popping) on Santee Cooper. A gutless, light cover rod wouldn't have worked. Toadface had zero trouble in that stuff behind me. Maybe you guys are fishing some kinda grass that is even thicker.

Toadface.jpg

13. Member
    I cant speak on the Tatula Elite, never had one in my hands. Im sure its a great rod. Now, I can speak highly of the Toadface. It does have a softer tip, which to me, is perfect for a frog or swim jig. But it gets stout real quick once you set the hook. I own a couple with 4 years use on them, and I've never had a problem getting one out of thick grass or wood. Highly recommend.

14. Member
    I have the Daiwa KAGE frog rod and love it. May be worth a look

15. Member
    I have the original tatula frog rod and my buddy has a toad face I would never give up my tatula for the toad face.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

16. Member
    Like many things fishing, I think it's a matter of preference - I had a Toadface, sold it when I moved because I was fishing saltwater and bought a Toadface again when I moved back to NC. I do have a 7'4" Tatula Elite frog rod as well, have never fished because it has 2 broken guides (one of them my fault). I've not fished for bass in Louisiana but the Toadface has handled everything the Carolinas has thrown at it and I've never felt underpowered, even in thick lily pads.

Quote Originally Posted by JCBHatesBlank View Post
    I always feel like the Toadface is poorly named (and I own one and probably too many Enox at this point). It's a spectacular swim jig rod at it's price point, but I will never understand how it got so much play in the Carolinas as 'the frog rod'.

Let me go hide from the tomatoes about to be thrown my way.
    No tomatoes. A swim jig is the #2 use for it. Frogs #1. #3 is a bladed jig. #4 pitching jigs around cover.

Thick grass is thick grass. Doesn't matter where you are. Santee Cooper used to have some of the thickest around - with plenty of healthy fish - so very familiar (see above). Some people prefer a broomstick, some prefer the advantages the Toadface gives with it's strong backend and a tip that actually lets you work the bait differently. End of the day, the rod has no issues with cover, but probably won't fit your personal preference if you are a "broomstick frogger".

The great news is... lots of choices out there.