Does this look right?

Prop.PNG

Does this gap look right? It is a brand new 150 and the prop is a trophy plus 21 pitch.

2. Member
    Absolutely not right

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wash84 View Post
    Absolutely not right
    Any idea what might be wrong?

4. Member
    This is a small hub propeller. You can add a prop seal ring (metal or plastic) and it will seal that gap. You can use the Mercury PVS holes and plugs to control blow-by.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    This is a small hub propeller. You can add a prop seal ring (metal or plastic) and it will seal that gap. You can use the Mercury PVS holes and plugs to control blow-by.
    So that gap is supposed to be like that?

6. Member
    That prop was designed for smaller diameter lower units typical found on 115 h.p. Class engines. The solution was stated above.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    If you buy a propeller like a Mercury Tempest plus or a Lazer II that has a diameter of 4 3/4 inch, there is no gap. Your propeller has a diameter of 4 1/4 inch. That leaves 1/4 inch all around it. Will it hurt anything ? Water won't get into the motor or anything like that, but it might have an impact on take off. Your boat might be slow to take off because off to much exaust on the blades. If that is the case, use the ring and also the PVS plugs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    If you buy a propeller like a Mercury Tempest plus or a Lazer II that has a diameter of 4 3/4 inch, there is no gap. Your propeller has a diameter of 4 1/4 inch. That leaves 1/4 inch all around it. Will it hurt anything ? Water won't get into the motor or anything like that, but it might have an impact on take off. Your boat might be slow to take off because off to much exaust on the blades. If that is the case, use the ring and also the PVS plugs.
    Thanks for the explaining that. This is my first boat and it won't get on plane. I had to get someone to stand on the front and rev'd it up to 4800 rpms to get it to break over.

9. Member
    This a new boat/engine combo? If yes, I'd be all over the dealer for their foul up with the prop.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    This a new boat/engine combo? If yes, I'd be all over the dealer for their foul up with the prop.
    Yes

11. Member
    I'd be back at that dealer with prop In Hand.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

12. Member
    Post your S/N, Don requires it w/ all posts.
    Might also want to mention what hull you have this on, as it may give better guidance for a prop recommendation.

Net, it could be the correct prop for your application, but if so, need a way to adapt it to the larger 4.75" gear case...as was sated, that prop has a smaller bore.
    But, it could also be far from the correct prop for you application...
    If you can't get on plane, it clearly is not set up correctly, and your selling dealer should work w/ you to get the right setup (be it a prop ring, a different prop, etc).
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Very unlikely that this is the correct (or manufacturer-tested) prop for this engine/boat combination. I would get with your dealer- at the very least you need a sealing ring (aka: blowout ring).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor