Thread: Red RTV Sealant

Red RTV Sealant

I know there are many proponents on this board of using red rtv when installing seals and such, especially when you run oil bath hubs. That is taken a step farther and is recommended when using grease also.

Why? I know there are many mechanics who don't, and even the Timken video (and others) on servicing hubs doesn't include it. When you have grease in the hubs and bearings are you really accomplishing anything by using it?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I know there are many proponents on this board of using red rtv when installing seals and such, especially when you run oil bath hubs. That is taken a step farther and is recommended when using grease also.

Why? I know there are many mechanics who don't, and even the Timken video (and others) on servicing hubs doesn't include it. When you have grease in the hubs and bearings are you really accomplishing anything by using it?
    It is recommended by UFP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    It is recommended by UFP.
    That is for the Vault system as well as the old oil bath hubs. Not for straight grease.

4. Member
    Without it on conventional grease hubs about the worst you'll see is a little oil residue around the rear seal and front cap.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Without it on conventional grease hubs about the worst you'll see is a little oil residue around the rear seal and front cap.
    Thanks. I had always used it previously, even on grease hubs, but when I went for my tube it had hardened. I had the choice of finishing the job without it or delaying with the trailer jacked up until I could replace it. I chose to finish the job without it.