Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620

Trailer Bunks carpet

What is the best Trailer Bunk Carpet out there now? Need to redo Bunks.
    Also if the wood is in good shape can I just re-carpet the existing 2x6 or would you replace and/or with what?
    Thanks

2. mikesxpress
    Les contact Jonathan at Gatorbak as a replacement for the carpet. jvanmeter@gatorbak.com

3. Member
    Just want to re-carpet. Do not waNT synthetic bunk materials. I can carpet bunks for a lot less and many times for their cost. I am not saying they do not have a good product, I just want carpet.
    The existing carpet and boards have held up for 17 years. As I alway turn the fan on the bunks when I get home from a fishing trip.
    Thanks

New wood and Gatorbacks….my trailer is 100% carpet free. 2B7DEB0B-DB6E-440C-BCC0-BB1E772F8A7D.jpeg
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

New KDAT wood - can't imagine pulling all those staples and it so much easier and faster when boards are complete and ready to go. KDAT will not warp and can be painted. I paint mine to match carpet color because I leave the bottom exposed to help draining and drying. Inboard side the fabric gets cut at the bottom of the side and outboard side gets a wrap to the bottom just enough to staple. Use monel staples and a power stapler makes the job much easier and will produce a better finished product. For fabric I use Boat Blanket made by Sailrite. It is easier to work with and drains and dries faster than carpet. They sell direct and will send samples.

6. Member
    Whatever carpet you go with, spend the extra coin and redo the wood. I used pressure treated 2x4's when I did mine. The problem with old wood especially when it covered is you never can see when it is deteriorating until it breaks. My boat was hung up when loading and when I stood on the board, went right through it. When I replaced it I found they were all rotted and easily broken apart.

I used Basscat carpet last time around.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I redid my bunks last January. Used pressure treated lumber. Carpet was Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet. Used a marine glue and some staples. I did get the Gator bak stainless steel brackets. They were way nicer than the one that came on my trailer. Worth the money. All new stainless hardware. The one mistake I made was I didn't do the carpet on the inside of the fenders when I had the boat off the trailer in the air. Hopefully I'll get to them this winter.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

9. Member
    I believe Bass Cat uses 24oz carpet, everyone else is 16oz or 20oz.

10. Member
    Yes you are right 24oz carpet.

11. Member
    I have carpeted my bunks several times, the carpet always cuts and tears at the end of the bunks. I finally tried something different, I cut about 4 feet off the center wide boards carpet at the ends, and took it all off the side bunk 2 x 4's. I bought 4 sections of Gatorback 5 feet long and covered the ends and lapped it over the carpet 4 feet up the big bunks. I completely covered the smaller bunks. It looks pretty darn good, and if it doesn't split like the carpet did, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    New wood and Gatorbacks….my trailer is 100% carpet free. 2B7DEB0B-DB6E-440C-BCC0-BB1E772F8A7D.jpeg
    what is on the inside of the fender?