Early deer season

Expanded zone bowhunting opened here today (meaning it's mainly for culling does from high density areas). If you took part and saw a doe with fawns, would you shoot it? I've been watching a doe and two fawns in the yard for the past month and the fawns still have spots. One of them is very small and I wonder if she didn't adopt an orphan or something (she only had one fawn when she first showed up and it's pretty good sized). Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age but these little guys don't look ready to be on their own yet.

2. Moderator
    I have killed does with clearly older fawns but I would definitely let one with a fawn that still has spots walk. Now very late season Dec/Jan once the fawn has time to grow I would probably change my mind.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I have killed does with clearly older fawns but I would definitely let one with a fawn that still has spots walk. Now very late season Dec/Jan once the fawn has time to grow I would probably change my mind.
    Yeah, I've also taken a few in November rifle season which is when the fawn/lamb normally gets the boot anyways allowing the doe to breed and start the cycle over again. I've also taken a few lambs through the years but those days are probably behind me. I no longer care if I fill my tag and a good-sized buck will keep me in venison 2-3 years

Hard pass.

I was watching a doe and a fawn moving toward me in a food plot once during archery season and I wasn’t going to shoot her until I saw the fawn try to nurse then the doe kept kicking the fawn in the face to keep it away. I was fixing to send a bolt and provide rapid pulmonary decompression when she looked up and then they both ran off. A herd of pigs 25-30 ran in .......then I tried to set down the bow and pick up the rifle when I knocked my crossbow off the stand loaded and saw it clank crash and band it’s way to the ground. The biggest pig looked like a VW beetle with spots on it....they all scattered but two made the mistake of circling back.
    memorable hunt for sure.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.