Want to install recessed trolling motor tray in my 1996 Stratos 278

I own a 1996 Stratos 278 and would like to install a recessed tray for my trolling motor control. One I am looking at requires 19.5" X 11.75" x 4". Since this is my first fiberglass bass boat I tried contacting the manufacturer to make sure I wouldn't be cutting structural members, wires, or pipes, etc.. I did get a response but they are unfamiliar with this model as it pre-dates their acquisition of Stratos.
    I have tried to peek up in that area from one of my storage boxes with out success. Planning this as an off season project.

Does anybody have any experience for tips with cutting into the deck of this model of Stratos?

Or a link with helpful tips or videos?

I don’t have your model but when I explored to put one in mine I removed the panel at the bow and used my phone to take photos of the area under the deck. I would imagine you will be fine. I just missed cutting into my front storage box
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

3. Member
    Best thing to do is to stick your phone down there from the front of the boat and video or take pictures of what's under there, make sure u shine a light down there also
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

4. Member
    I owned a 95 stratos 278 for a few years and my old man still owns it. I installed a foot tray myself and had no issues. There aren't any obstructions under there just deck and a little foam. Used a drill in each corner then a jigsaw and just took my time. Added some wood sealant to the exposed wood after the cutout. It's a little nerve wrecking cutting a hole in your boat. I just laid mine out and made sure my measurements were spot on and I used tape to give me a line to cut. PM me if you have any questions or want pics I think I've got a few from when I did it. Good luck!
    Derek McCarty

5. Member
    Install one in a 88 ,201 pro. As said remove the front panel and look?
    There wasn't any thing.. Inch and 1/2 plywood@foam. I cut in the front box.
    As I want minds back far from bow.As said seal the new cut wood.