Ranger 2015 Z521C Steering

Recently purchased this boat with a 250 SHO.
    Running a Yamaha T1 25P
    Getting out of the hole is real slow and as the boat progresses forward I'm on the trim up to half way on the trim gauge.
    If I go over half way up, the steering becomes very tough to control the boat. The steering wheel becomes very hard to turn the least bit and the boat seems to have a right hand drift so scary...
    Not my first Ranger or bass boat in general so I'm curious to know whats going on with this particular situation.
    HELP......THANKS

2. Member
    Sounds like engine is way to high
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    ATLAS JACKPLATE ALL THE WAY DOWN

You need to check your steering for slop. Also check fluid level. My 521 has best holeshot around half way up on the atlas (from lowest position) equates to 8 or so on the gauge. Sounds like you might be getting on the trim too quickly. You need to give the hull time/speed to do some of the work of lifting the boat. If I over trim my rig…it gets exactly the same symptoms you are describing.

5. Member
    Thanks and I will give it a try pertaining to JP.

Hard steering is the prop venting Trimmed to high or engine to high
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

7. Member
    fixed the holeshot with the jackplate set at 3 to 3.5 but as I trim out I'm still having problems turning the wheel especially to the left....
    I just noticed that this 250 SHO does not have an trim tab right above the prop....Nothing but a factory looking plate in that hole and it kinda looks like zinc plate ???
    I thought my 200 SHO had one ???

8. Member
    Problem is fixed..... SHO was mounted too high on Atlas Jack Plate. Boat came with a manual JP and was changed to Atlas JP when sold new. Motor was mounted in third hole down and should have been in the first hole and no more than the second hole per Ranger factory for this particular model boat. Looks like 1.5" made a ton of difference.
    Thanks for all of the help on what the problem might be....Two of the suggestions from here cleared it up so thanks "1BADAIR" & "bass.man65"