X21 slower than expected!

I bought a 2022 X21 with 250 SHO expecting mid 70s. I can’t hit 70 loaded. Just me(225 lbs), tackle and full tank of fuel. I’ve tested numerous props and all basically same top end speed. Within 1-2 mph. 68-69 with all these props.
    25p Fury 3. Rev limiter
    25p Tempest rev limiter
    26p Trophy rev limiter
    25p powertech rev limiter
    28p Bravo I xs 5800 rpm
    27p fxp and turbo 5500 rpm

this is a pretty wide variety to achieve same top speed. My set up is in my signature. The welds seem smooth at the transom except the two on the outside that’s supposedly to keep it from porpoising. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    2022 Xpress X21 DC
    dual 8ft Power-Pole Blades
    8” Atlas Hyd Jackplate
    250 SHO
    trying to find the right prop

2. Member
    How does the boat drive? If it is not a handful you are not getting enough lift. Check the pad with a straight edge, I will bet you find a hook, dip or whatever. I am sorry to say these hulls are NOT like a glass hull, if you want to see another 5-10mph have somebody work the pad over. I straighted mine the best I could without filler when I reinforced the transom. The only other thing I can add is a 10-12" setback works best on these hulls and yes 2" makes a big difference. Add a 2"+ spacer to your jackplate and be SURE you are getting full throttle. I can hit 68-70 with 2 people loaded and if I jump to a 3 blade 27 pitch prop that I have and am light mid 70's BUT I am not comfortable with my set up at that speed. Same engine on the Blazer is a upper 80's to 90 boat and runs like it is on rails at 85. So you can see the difference in hulls. Esp glass to aluminum. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    How does the boat drive? If it is not a handful you are not getting enough lift. Check the pad with a straight edge, I will bet you find a hook, dip or whatever. I am sorry to say these hulls are NOT like a glass hull, if you want to see another 5-10mph have somebody work the pad over. I straighted mine the best I could without filler when I reinforced the transom. The only other thing I can add is a 10-12" setback works best on these hulls and yes 2" makes a big difference. Add a 2"+ spacer to your jackplate and be SURE you are getting full throttle. I can hit 68-70 with 2 people loaded and if I jump to a 3 blade 27 pitch prop that I have and am light mid 70's BUT I am not comfortable with my set up at that speed. Same engine on the Blazer is a upper 80's to 90 boat and runs like it is on rails at 85. So you can see the difference in hulls. Esp glass to aluminum. CJ
    No chine walk whatsoever. When I was breaking in; no poles and lead acid batteries (forgot to mention I’m running lithium’s also) was hitting 73 unloaded full of fuel and it was a handful. It also had 10” manual jack plate on it. Upgraded to hydraulic. Considered a 12”, but dealer talked me into an 8”. Said it would handle better. They didn’t say anything about making it slower
    2022 Xpress X21 DC
    8” Atlas Hyd Jackplate
    250 SHO

4. Member
    I have an X21 (2020) with a 200hp and I can get 62mph with a 25p FXP, 12" setback Hyd. jackplate. Seems like yours is a bit slow. However, I didnt see any speed/performance improvements until I got about 30 hours on the motor. How many hours do you have on it now?

Try a 26-27 SHO T1. That boat craves lots of bow lift

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Banned
    I'm not sure where you're at/ testing PTP? But I would start at 4.5 PTP and keep it there for all of the props and see what she does. Then make adjustments for the one that you like best.
    Plus you gotta remember it's still summer, the Fall weather should loosen her up
    Last edited by pa.X19; 09-10-2021 at 02:14 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgleu View Post
    I have an X21 (2020) with a 200hp and I can get 62mph with a 25p FXP, 12" setback Hyd. jackplate. Seems like yours is a bit slow. However, I didnt see any speed/performance improvements until I got about 30 hours on the motor. How many hours do you have on it now?
    15 hours
    2022 Xpress X21 DC
    8” Atlas Hyd Jackplate
    250 SHO

8. Member
    Ok, based on my experience, once you get more hours on it, you will start noticing a difference. I need to slim down my tackle and move things around to see if I can get more out of it. Still in the figuring things out phase for me. I plan on flashing my 200hp to a 300hp pretty soon.

9. Member
    As Mike said you have to get the bow out of the water! I raised my engine 2 holes and now i have to find out where on my jackplate I have to run at. I could just get under 70 last night as I ran out of lake to figure out where I get the best bow lift now. Used to be at just under 3 on the plate, now I am guessing .75 to 1 on my meter. But again bow lift is very important. Keep as much weight to the back as you can and find a prop that will lift the bow. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    My X21 has the PT prop and best I did was 64mph by myself, empty live wells 1/2 tank fuel and tournament loaded. Really want to
    look at some other props, only 12hrs on the engine also and 6000 rpms. Any advice? Thanks
    KW
    X21 DC 2022 250sho
    dual 10’ raptors
    8”atlas jack plate
    Ultrex 80lbs
    Precision sonar dual console helix 9”
    Precision sonar dual stack bow helix 12”
    mega 360
    6” trailer frame

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWx21 View Post
    My X21 has the PT prop and best I did was 64mph by myself, empty live wells 1/2 tank fuel and tournament loaded. Really want to
    look at some other props, only 12hrs on the engine also and 6000 rpms. Any advice? Thanks
    KW
    Definitely swap out that PT prop!! It was the same situation with my X21. I am still trying different props to get the bow out of the water more but The FXP 25p I have handles way better than the PT did.

12. Member
    Definitely swap out that PT prop!! It was the same situation with my X21. I am still trying different props to get the bow out of the water more but The FXP 25p I have handles way better than the PT did.
    Thanks jgleu, keep me posted hopefully I can run mid 70’s tournament loaded and keep the chine down, might have to flash and test some props, definitely going to try the FXP25p as soon as I can!! Keep me posted please, taking her to smith lake in AL next week hopefully the cooler water will get my speed up!! Lol
    X21 DC 2022 250sho
    dual 10’ raptors
    8”atlas jack plate
    Ultrex 80lbs
    Precision sonar dual console helix 9”
    Precision sonar dual stack bow helix 12”
    mega 360
    6” trailer frame

13. Member
    Lets hope so! I will flash mine in due time. Just broke my skeg this past weekend so I want to fix that first.

14. Member
    Sent the boat to a dealership this past Friday to fix the skeg and also flash my SHO to a 300hp motor. I talked to the guy for a good while with all the questions we been discussing and he said to ditch the powertech prop for sure. Pretty much the same that everyone else on here said. However, he did mention that Yamaha SHO makes a hydrofoil that fits on the motor to help reduce porpoising (bouncing) when at lower speeds. They are not bulky like most others and cost $200 installed. I cant find them online but I will ask and see where I can find them when I get my boat.

15. Mike Lamb
    You can flash 200 to 300?
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

16. Member
    Sent the boat to a dealership this past Friday to fix the skeg and also flash my SHO to a 300hp motor. I talked to the guy for a good while with all the questions we been discussing and he said to ditch the powertech prop for sure. Pretty much the same that everyone else on here said. However, he did mention that Yamaha SHO makes a hydrofoil that fits on the motor to help reduce porpoising (bouncing) when at lower speeds. They are not bulky like most others and cost $200 installed. I cant find them online but I will ask and see where I can find them when I get my boat.
    Dealer doing your flashing ? Interesting .... not that I have any sort of problem with that just didn't know any dealer would do it .

17. Member
    I asked for the 250 option and he told me all he does is to 300. I did my research and everything was the same from 200hp to 300hp except for the ECU. The dealer is doing the maintenance work and fixing the skeg. One of the guys does it on the side after it is done with the dealership. It is done with: https://www.hydrotecmarine.com/whats-new/