Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Andrew, got a bait coming probably tomorrow.

I gotta say, they are pretty sweet as far as buzzbaits go. I hope they work half as good as they look!

Sent your bait today. Tracking is 9500 1143 4347 1263 4542 53
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Mine got sent your way today. For what USPS charged me for $ and delivery time, I literally could/should have just driven it up and stuffed it in your mailbox!

4. Member

I was thinking the same...if I wasn't so lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Mine got sent your way today. For what USPS charged me for $ and delivery time, I literally could/should have just driven it up and stuffed it in your mailbox!
    At least you didn't pay twice like I did!
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I've received several of them so far. Thanks gents!

I got to sneak out for a few hours Saturday morning in balmy 44 degree (air) temps. The bonus here is that I can confirm that they work! This was a 3 lber (alright...2.96 on the Catch Commander) that took a big slurp on about my third cast...managed at least a dozen more after that:

Apologies for the mess of rods in the background. Rod lockers that only hold 7' rods aren't any fun!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    You should have a couple from Collins and me today.
    Joey Aderhold

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinnerb8 View Post
    At least you didn't pay twice like I did!
    Unfortunately I did! What makes it worse and the reasoning for my post, he only lives 12 miles from me and USPS charged almost the same amount as what I paid to originally get it to me from Alabama and took 2 days to get it to him 12 miles away!!!!! Next time I will just drive it up over my lunch break and stuff it in his mailbox.

10. Member
    Andrew, did you experiment with different colors at all or stick with what started working in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Andrew, did you experiment with different colors at all or stick with what started working in the pic?
    I just tied that one on, and went with it. I usually only change if I'm having problems with fish not getting it, and I actually don't think I missed any on it except a pike that launched itself clean over the bait.

For anyone who hasn't fished them and is looking for a review: It's probably the best buzzbait I've used, as I think it should be at its price point. Casts very well, has a sharp, stout hook, planes quickly, and the best part for me: The blade sheds vegetation insanely well. It's actually unbelievable the stuff it powered through clinging to pads and the like without getting fouled up. I assume that's the (subtely) unique blade shape, but really can't say. I also really like that you can really easily switch between it being a "clacker" and traditional style, and with that option, I found myself switching back and forth on Saturday as I fished around the lake in and out of the wind and I think I got more bites because of it. I would've been too lazy to switch baits or have two separate baits tied on when I moved in/out of the wind. It has a very nice squeal out of the pack, too--no highway treatment needed!

Two complaints, and I really only think the first one is legitimate. First: It has a cutting point hook which I do not like as I think that style makes the hole in the fish's mouth bigger and gives them a better chance to get off. You can actually see the large hole it made in the fish I posted above, though to be fair, a regular needle point may have done the same hooking the fish in that part of the mouth. Admittedly I did not lose any fish, but also didn't really have to wrench any out of heavy cover (they were all set up in open areas, usually outside the pads, and so were not getting buried up).

Second: When I had it set up to clack, it always opened up on a fish and had to be bent back down. I think that's probably going to be the case for every clacker out there short of the ones with an extra blade on the arm. Maybe more legitimate is that there were a few times that I had to bend it back down without having caught any fish. Super minor, especially since it stayed tuned well.

I work out of town (for now) during the week, so any that showed up this week I haven't received yet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Great report!

13. Member
    I got to use the Megabass buzzbait today, and I gotta say i'm am happy I picked up a few!

As Drew stated, if you want it clacking, you'll have to bend the frame down...it wasn't a big deal for me as I have never even used a clacker in the past. Caught about a dozen fish on it this morning, 2-4lbs, and never once had to retune the bait. It always tracked correctly. Unlike most buzzbaits i've tried, it runs very vertical, you have to reel it pretty fast to get it running on it's side. This could be due to the weight, as I've never fished a 1/2oz buzzbait. It also runs with a very distinct wobble, similar to a swimbait.
    I missed at least as many fish as I caught, and I believe it's due to the weight...I think little ones have a hard time sucking in the bait.

It's definitely a premium buzzbait, it's very well built! My only complaint...I wish they had more sizes, as I tend to mostly fish 1/8th and 1/4th oz baits.

And Andrew...the X-11 I bought earlier this year appears to be a very good buzzbait rod.

14. Member
    Mine is all packed on my desk, I’ll get it out tomorrow sorry bout that

15. Member
    Great reviews! Looks like I should've bought one for myself.........

16. Member
    Hey everyone...I've got a new thread started for the new season!

Hope to see ya'll back again!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123