Thread: Kansas Squirrel

Kansas Squirrel

A very good friend of mine and I were fishing the mouth of a cove last Spring. We had fished about halfway back when we observed a squirrel climbing a tree on the shore. As he made his way up one of the limbs the tree limb bent down and the squirrel jumped off on a stump about three feet in diameter. The limb, of course shot back up in the air. As we got close we saw that what had drawn the squirrel to the stump was a pile of acorns that had a accumulated on the stump. As we watched and the squirrel finished his snack, we made conversation that we had never seen a squirrel swim before. About that same time the squirrel bailed off into the water and proceeded to swim to shore. As he approached the halfway mark back to dry land the biggest bass we had ever seen busted the water barely missing the squirrel who just managed to scamper to safety. Of course, my fishing friend and I spent a couple hours fishing the area trying every lure in our arsenal to entice the big girl to no avail. As we made our way back out to the mouth of the cove, we heard a big explosion on the surface of the water only to look back and sure enough it was that big 'ole bass..................putting more acorns on that stump!

If you can tell this with a straight face, your buddies will fall for it, just like I did.
    This story was told to me many many years ago by one of the best storytellers, fisherman and friend I have ever known. Kansas fisherman will most likely know him as he was a past Kansas Bass Chapter Federation President, and one of the founding members of the Cherryvale Bassmasters Frank Stong. A great guy taken from us too soon. An annual tournament for the Frank Stong scholarship fund will be held October 23, 2021 at Big Hill Lake in Cherryvale Kansas.

2. Member

3. Member

Phoenix 919 Merc 225 pro XS

Learned that story from my pops
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack