Repowering a 2004 519 VX

Currently I have a 2004 519 vx with a 200 EFI and a 6" jack plate with low hours and I love it but it does eat gas. In the event that I need to repower and again I stress in the event, what have others done and what was the cost?

2. Member
    Last year, it was about 19k installed for merc 250

3. mikesxpress
    Ed the new V8 four strokes use more fuel than the Optimax engines but a little less than the EFIs. Just FYI.

4. Member
    I have a 2002 195 vs. I blew my 200 EFI in June of 2017. I started calling around I found a dealer with old new stock I got a 2013 pro xs. 0 hours out the door installed 9400 if I had to do it again I would call around and see if I could find a dealer with old new stock and do it all over again good luck
    2002 Ranger 195vs
    2013 - 200hp Mercury Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ed the new V8 four strokes use more fuel than the Optimax engines but a little less than the EFIs. Just FYI.
    I appreciate that info. I was wondering if an optimax would be the best way to go.

6. mikesxpress
    I'm a big advocate for the 4 stroke V8. No DFI oil to add. Eliminates oil tank. No compressor issues or plug fouling like the Opti. With 100 hours between oil changes (engine & LU) and 300 hours for water pump/plugs/fuel filter, cost of operation is less than half of the Opti. I repowered to the 250hp ProXS CMS V8 over 3 years ago. No regrets.

7. Member
    I owned a 519vx several years ago and it was my favorite of the seven Rangers that I have owned.

If I was to repower, I would look a Lithium batteries for the TM to offset the extra weight of the four stroke.

8. Banned
    I repowered my ranger with a Yamaha f series. I found a brand new noncurrent and saved big. I lost a little speed from the opti but man this motor is bullet proof, easy on fuel and easy to maintain.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmusky View Post
    I have a 2002 195 vs. I blew my 200 EFI in June of 2017. I started calling around I found a dealer with old new stock I got a 2013 pro xs. 0 hours out the door installed 9400 if I had to do it again I would call around and see if I could find a dealer with old new stock and do it all over again good luck
    How was the pro XS vs. The EFI? GAS, Power, Performance