Banned

Rod Sleeve Material ??

Want to make some rod sleeves....

Which is better? The PET material or expandable Mylar? Or are they both pretty much the same??
    Any material Brand preference? Thanks....

2. Member
    I usually just buy the braided expandable sheathing off of ebay. Lots of colors and it works well.

what size for casting and for spinning rods?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob o View Post
    what size for casting and for spinning rods?
    I ordered the 3/4" for my casting rods. My buddy has that size and I like the slimmer fit.

For spinning rods I think 1 3/8"

How are you going to close the ends?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

6. Banned
    Piece of heat shrink tubing on the tip end. Fold over butt end and heat with heat gun.

7. Member
    Echo the same advice - expandable PET tubing for the sleeves and close the rod tip end with heat shrink tubing. I use the smallest diameter that will easily fit over the largest guides on my rod (or combined diameter of the halves/thirds of the rod for my long crappie and surf rods). Use a soldering gun rope cutter attachment to get the expandable tubing to cut perfect every time:

Weller Professional - RCT - USA - us (weller-tools.com)

When I cut with Weller RCT, I do not have to do anything special to the reel end other than folding over on itself once or twice. I can't decide if I like the reel end folded in our out better. Folded in makes it easier to put on the rod and less tangley in the rod locker. Folded out makes it easier to take off the rod but more tangley in the rod locker and a little more likely to come undone. I usually have to do two folds if I fold it out versus one fold if I fold it in.. .maybe I just convinced myself that folding in ins better.

Depending on the rod, I make them completely DIY using bulk expandable PET tubing or modify pre-made sleeves. For pre-made sleeves that have a simple reel end, I cut the reel end and leave the tip as is. If they have a nice (sewn or with a bungie, etc) reel end, I will instead cut the tip and replace the heat shrink tube. I like mine to come to right above the hook keeper so hooks will not get tangled up in the sleeve. This is great for single hook lures, but I'll also use a lure wrap for lures with trebles and/or multiple hooks.
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

8. Member
    I also use the expandable sheath from ebay but think 1in is easier to use for casting rods . I also use shrink tube for the tip then fold , stretch ,shape and heat applied to the butt , but then I dip butt end in plasti-dip ... always holds shape and is much easier to hold and guide the sock down and over guides

9. Member
    not to high jack the thread, but I am switching all my rod sleeves to the 6th sense style neoprene. Better protection IMO and they float.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

10. Member
    Plasti-dip the butt end!!
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

11. Member
    For those that have made these, has anyone figured out the cost of building one (without the need to buy bulk so large that you have materials to make a 100 sleeves)? They seem easy enough to make, and materials seem cheap enough, but I can get these all day long from China (Alibaba) for $1.50- $2.50 each (delivered). Just curious, how much more is there to save?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    For those that have made these, has anyone figured out the cost of building one (without the need to buy bulk so large that you have materials to make a 100 sleeves)? They seem easy enough to make, and materials seem cheap enough, but I can get these all day long from China (Alibaba) for $1.50- $2.50 each (delivered). Just curious, how much more is there to save?
    Depends.
    I get material all day long for free. I pay for shrink tubing w/glue for extra hold. I also leave material out of the end past the shrink tubing, melt it and smash it down flat so the shrink tubing cannot slide off the end.

Maybe a few cents per rod sock is all I have in them. I also sell them dirt cheap because of this.

Side note.
    I was folding the reel end over itself to the outside 2 times and making a nice neat end that slid off the rod very easily. I also used mono line and tied this down so it wouldn't unfold and it looked very nice.
    Bad part - When this came in contact with a treble hook, good luck.
    I now fold them once to the inside and slightly mold this folded part with a wooden handle of a file.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp