200 Pro XS RPM Question

2B782007

Currently running Fury 3 24p and getting 57xx rpm depending on load, temp, etc. Best seeing 70-71 mph
    I was debating going to a 22p to try to get the rpms close to 6200. I talked to someone who works props and he said go to a 23p. That the rpms wouldn't be as high but it would run better.
    I'm just trying to understand how I should be propping it. Am I trying to get it to max rpm on the top end? Or is it ok to leave some room at the top to try to gain a few mph? Trying to make the right prop move without playing musical props.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    I have same engine on a 21 basscat pantera 2. The 24p fury 3 was okay when boat was lightly loaded, but when had passenger and full livewells it was slow out of hole and couldn’t get above low 60s. Best I could get out of it overall was 5500 at about 67. From what I could figure out was too much pitch. My dealer checked linear throttle, confirmed was 100%, and raised motor a half inch on the jack plate. Said to give that a try. This helped the top end out but created issues with hole shot. They ended up swapping out my 24p for a 23p, and I plugged a couple of the PVS holes. I lowered the engine a little, probably 3 5/8 prop to pad now. Seems happier, have good hole shot, and top speed I have gotten out of it is 69 at about 5700. I am not a good driver yet, and still learning, it has more to go, but I am happy where it is at. Was surprised how little changes on engine height and 1 pitch down on prop made noticeable differences. Seems I have always been told not to run things at the limit, will lead to failures. I would rather have 58-6000 vs higher, have some room before rev limiter. I just wanted the top end to be within the full throttle range of 5600-6200, I couldn’t get that with the 24p. Going to 23p gained me a couple hundred rpms and a little more speed. Also in winter when it is colder it will rev a little higher.

There’s several questions that would help to give you the correct advice.
    What boat is it on? Have you had demand linear checked for 100%, what is you ptp? What lower unit do buyout have as there are / different ratios,
    If your seeing 71 at 5700 with a 200hp you are doing very well and your slip is about perfect. You’ll get the answer to get your rpm’s as close to 6200 as possible for optimum results.
    But to better assist, add some of the above detail
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

4. mikesxpress
    These V8's need to run at 6200 rpms to take advantage of the performance across all the power bands and obtain the maximum amount of fuel economy. The 23P Fury 3 blade is the dominant summertime prop for the majority of bass boats. A box prop isn't going to attain it's optimum level of performance until it's true pitched. My box 23P would only hit 5850. After true pitch work at Propeller Dynamics I get my 6200-6210 in the heat of the summer at sea level. I have a 24 true pitched for cooler months that also hits the 6200.

I had to sort all this out on my own 3 years ago when I got my 250 ProXS V8 repower which was one of the 1st ones and I had no one to ask.

5. Member
    Yes on the demand linear, at least what the dealer said
    Pantera Classic
    3.5 ptp
    1.75 lower unit
    Seen 70-71 a few times only in Cool/cold weather and water
    Usually 67-69 in warmer weather
    With 2 people or livewell it really takes a hit, not much lift on it
    I think I'm trying to figure out if stepping down to get the more rpms will help. I've seen stuff both ways about where to prop them for. Heck 2 techs at the dealership debated it with one on each side. Some said 56-6200 is fine some said max rpm

6. mikesxpress
    My post about propping to achieve 6200 rpms is based on what the Mercury engineering staff told me at ICAST before I ordered it and what Don has said here multiple times. My Z21 Intracoastal is 1900lbs dry weight and I see a small drop in performance with two people/gear & full fuel. Filling the livewell is the biggest hit.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input. I thought I had seen posts here to prop for 6200. But then I got the conflict 5900-6 would be better to gain some mph. So any thoughts on a 23 or 22p? Then send it out to be worked?

8. mikesxpress
    23P Fury 3 blade all PVS holes plugged. Run the box prop and record WOT best GPS speed, rpms, water pressure, and weather conditions. Call Robbie at
    https://www.propellerdynamicsva.com and give him your engine/hull information and recorded data. Request true pitching of the prop and what rpm increase you can expect. If your not satisfied with your bow lift at WOT tell him that too.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    Yes on the demand linear, at least what the dealer said
    Pantera Classic
    3.5 ptp
    1.75 lower unit
    Seen 70-71 a few times only in Cool/cold weather and water
    Usually 67-69 in warmer weather
    With 2 people or livewell it really takes a hit, not much lift on it
    I think I'm trying to figure out if stepping down to get the more rpms will help. I've seen stuff both ways about where to prop them for. Heck 2 techs at the dealership debated it with one on each side. Some said 56-6200 is fine some said max rpm
    I’m working on the same thing with my classic I can hit 70 by myself but add a partner and it’s 69 tops
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

10. Member
    Danielltx11, what prop do you have?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really need that engine to be spinning up into the top of the RPM band for best overall performance. Basically as close to 6200 as you can put it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thank you Don

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    Danielltx11, what prop do you have?
    24p fury 3 sorry for the late reply
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s