Steadycast Drift Through/After Sweeping Turn

Has anyone experienced Steadycast's heading drifting about 15-20 degrees through and after a long sweeping turn? Sometimes it slowly re-corrects and sometimes it does not. The biggest issue is when trying to follow marked lanes and the display shifting so the heading is not aligned with the boat's direction and the lane. Despite there being numerous forum threads about it on the internet, when I contacted customer service, the representative acted like it was the first he had heard of it and requested that I send in video, etc. Before I go through the hoops of customer service, I am curious if anyone has found a fix to this. So far I have moved the sensor to a few different locations, and the software/firmware is up to date. I have done calibrations, recalibrations before and after, etc.

Yes, at planing speeds there is some drift or offset of the heading. This was addressed with the latest software release via an additional feature. Now you can set vessel orientation independently on each networked unit. As you know, it's when we are stationary or moving slowly with the trolling motor that we need heading. But at speed Course Over Ground (COG) works perfectly. So at your console unit, go to Chart menu, Chart setup, Vessel orientation. Here you will see three selections (Auto, Heading, or COG). I run mine at Auto. The Auto feature has a speed threshold setting. I set mine at 10 MPH. So, when you are under 10 MPH heading from the SteadyCast is used. I prefer heading when idling around in search mode. Then, as I get on plane over 10 MPH, the source switches to COG and eliminates the heading offset you are experiencing. If using Auto or COG for Vessel Orientation, then I also recommend selecting Course under Map Orientation (same place in menu as Vessel Orientation).
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Great explanation Todd. I did not consider auto though it makes sense. Best of both worlds.

Todd, would this hold true for my 24XD also?

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    ...an additional feature. Now you can set vessel orientation independently on each networked unit...Here you will see three selections (Auto, Heading, or COG). I run mine at Auto. The Auto feature has a speed threshold setting. I set mine at 10 MPH. So, when you are under 10 MPH heading from the SteadyCast is used. I prefer heading when idling around in search mode. Then, as I get on plane over 10 MPH, the source switches to COG and eliminates the heading offset you are experiencing. If using Auto or COG for Vessel Orientation, then I also recommend selecting Course under Map Orientation (same place in menu as Vessel Orientation).
    Thanks! I was hoping that feature like this would be employed at some point. I will take a look this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Todd, would this hold true for my 24XD also?
    Yes, I run the 24xd as well.
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, I run the 24xd as well.
    Thanks Todd

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cldtx View Post
    Thanks! I was hoping that feature like this would be employed at some point. I will take a look this weekend.
    I changed to auto this morning - only a few turns, but so far it seems good. Thanks!

9. Member
    Good info

I had switched my units to cog, not knowing what it meant
    But when i spot lock or am trying to locate a brushpile on a waypoint, my word its a pain!!!