Thread: Ogdensburg?

Ogdensburg?

Going to Black Lake next week and thought of spending a couple of days in the river. Never have fished on the Ogdensburg end before. Wondering if it’s worth launching there or head towards Chippewa or Clayton. Any thoughts?

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    good fishing on the river no matter where much better then Black lake IMO

3. Member
    I enjoy that stretch of river, although some of my favorite spots near Ogdensburg are in Canada, but there is plenty of good water to fish on the US side too.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

4. Member
    Going up for the Dash for Cash, but Black has been brutal the last few years.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Going up for the Dash for Cash, but Black has been brutal the last few years.
    ya i know alot of guys that wont fish the dash for cash anymore its not the lake it used to be thats for sure

6. Member
    What do you supposed happen to Black Lake? fishing pressure with meat fisherman?

7. Member
    One thing that didn't help was the 15" size limit. Every fish that is kept is a mature breeding fish. A slot limit would have made more sense IMO but that ship sailed long ago. The lake while weed choked in places, had so much cover that was perfect bass habitat. Those beautiful weed lines are a thing of the past. I could be way off, but I've been fishing there since the late '70's and the fishing has declined steadily ever since. The last three years have been noticeably horrible.

8. Member
    One thing that didn't help was the 15" size limit. Every fish that is kept is a mature breeding fish. A slot limit would have made more sense IMO but that ship sailed long ago. The lake while weed choked in places, had so much cover that was perfect bass habitat. Those beautiful weed lines are a thing of the past. I could be way off, but I've been fishing there since the late '70's and the fishing has declined steadily ever since. The last three years have been noticeably horrible.
    What's the dominant forage base there? I could never figure it out when I was there, but it didn't seem like it has a lot of shad like most lakes. Not enough forage could be another reason for lackluster growth.

I haven't fished it in probably 10 years, but I remember catching about twenty 14.75" fish and zeroing in the tournament.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

9. Member
    Last year we caught two keepers in 5 days!! One day in seven hrs, not a bite!! Never had that happen there before. It definitely wasn’t the weather either, conditions were fine.

10. Member
    Last year I went up to Black Lake for 5 days and caught it during the middle of some type of algae bloom. Probably caught a total of about 12-15 bass over the course of a good 4 solid days of fishing the morning and evening, it was horrific. Only what I would consider one good 3.5# bass from there, the rest were unremarkable. Quite a difference from when I went 20 years ago and it was a largemouth and smallmouth hammerfest and good size.
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebackpro7 View Post
    Last year I went up to Black Lake for 5 days and caught it during the middle of some type of algae bloom. Probably caught a total of about 12-15 bass over the course of a good 4 solid days of fishing the morning and evening, it was horrific. Only what I would consider one good 3.5# bass from there, the rest were unremarkable. Quite a difference from when I went 20 years ago and it was a largemouth and smallmouth hammerfest and good size.
    Far cry from a lake that 30 years ago was rated as one of bassmasters top 10 in the country.

12. Member
    Have a place on the lake. Been whacking them all year. Same as last year. As mentioned. Weeds beds are a thing of the past. Jet skis, pontoons, water skiers and pull behind floats rule the place. The lure that is hot one year is not the next. The place hasn’t had a topwater bite in many years. The meat eaters are pulling a fair share of the fish out. Long gone are the days of pulling up to any spot and whacking them.
    Last edited by Alan 492VS; 09-14-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

13. Member
    I got up here today and surprisingly found more weeds than I’ve seen in years. Dead calm and fishing was not good. One of my favorite areas was so weed choked, I could barely get in.

14. Member
    5 of us fished it last week (black lake) and had 4 really good days. Imyself had two over 4lbs. with mant 2lbs. Bite slowed last two days. Afternoon bite better then morning

15. Member
    Going to Black Lake next week and thought of spending a couple of days in the river. Never have fished on the Ogdensburg end before. Wondering if it’s worth launching there or head towards Chippewa or Clayton. Any thoughts?
    If you are going to fish Ogdensburg area you don't want to launch in Clayton, otherwise you will have a long trip with going through A Bay. Goose and Chippewa would be better, or Jacque Cartier.

16. Member
    Actually I was talking about one or the other. Ended up fishing out of Cape Vincent on the last day.

17. Member
    Actually I was talking about one or the other. Ended up fishing out of Cape Vincent on the last day.
    Where did you fish down there? been a few yrs since fishing around there, but I used to fish Carleton Is, the flats near the launch, Millen bay, Linda Is.

18. Member
    Hung most of te day on the west and northwest side of the island. Tried a bit off of Featherbed Shoal but it was pretty slow.

19. Member
    Hung most of te day on the west and northwest side of the island. Tried a bit off of Featherbed Shoal but it was pretty slow.
    Yea, I figured with the low water the flats would be no good, but Carleton and the bays N E of there seemed to always hold fish especially down to Linda Is channel side.
    Love the River.