Experience with the Pantera Classic

Going to be in the market for a new rig soon, and am currently running Triton 18XS (basically the TRX) with a 150. I have it narrowed to a Basscat for a glass boat specifically because it fits my garage perfect. I have 22foot of length to work with and know I can fit a PII or a P Classic or even a Sabre FTD in there perfectly. I am leaning towards the Classic only because with little kids it provides me the largest platform to work with. I was curious to hear peoples impressions and real world reviews on this rig and what they like and do not like. I think the one thing I dont like about it is the limited white color option on the topcap, but thats hardly a deal breaker. How is the ride in this boat - specifically in boat traffic, I know it's a narrower boat that carries the beam forward to the front deck which I love, but does it feel cramped in the cock pit seating area? How are the seats?

This is the best boat for the money in my opinion. The ride is awesome. I was amazed at how well it does in rough water. The seats do leave something to be desired. But overall it's a boat that I think you'll be pleased with.

3. Member
    Sounds like your requirements are about same as mine, I went with p2. The SP model is hard to beat value wise. With kids, on the p2 and Sabre, the center seat mount is awesome. Makes it easier to keep kids under control and close. Having little kid all the way in back doesn’t work well. And, having their own seat next to dad makes them feel special.

4. Member
    You know what I literally did not even notice the second pedestal option on the PII and Sabre on the front deck. With a couple little kids that is a huge positive. Tho my 5 yr old likes to stand and try to run the trolling motor on the Triton right now, kid kills me. Guy down the road has a PII in his garage, maybe I will check it out. I know the classic has more deck space up on the front, how does the PII feel with TM down. Sabre is nice, but I dont think I wanna get smaller than my 18'9 bass boat I have. Eventually gonna be fishing with two boys and hopefully my little girl will tag along some.

5. Member
    The Classic will be a lot wider up at the pedal, which will be nice if your kid fishes at the trolling motor with you. I bought a Classic since it was a much better fit for me personally than a PII is. I love the bigger deck, bigger bilge access, layout, storage and extra length. I got mine with the SS latches, so really the only negatives to me compared to the PII are the seats and livewell system, but both of those work just fine for me so the Classic was a no brainer.

6. Member
    Great feedback, is it stable with the TM down, have heard there is a little more roll in the Classic than the PII but I have no actual experience in it.

7. Member
    Love my PII. It is a rocket 0 to 65mph. I looked at the Classic, it was a close 2nd, but did not like the seats and I really like the PII's live well system over the Classic, especially with the 90+ degree water temps here in Florida.
    Brad Krone

8. Member
    Have heard the PII is a rocket thats for sure, no tournaments these days for me, weekend warrior or out with my little guy. So I guess the livewell situation would not affect me much anymore. Great feedback guys!

9. Member
    Very stable with the tm down to me. Rides great in rough water. Not as fast as as many Cats but still quickish.
    To me it was the best value on the market for the size and ability of the boat.

10. Member
    My p2 is my first bass boat, not a lot to compare against. But, I have done a few tournaments and fun fishing, since I bought it about 6 months ago. With trolling motor down seems very responsive, run shallow, very maneuverable. I have 24V ghost for trolling motor. With a bigger co-angler does rock some if they move around a lot, with kids is solid. Something I noticed between the classic and the p2, seemed like the cockpit was deeper on the classic. P2 feels like riding on top of it vs in it. Both good boats. Seemed like the p2 was a better deal with the “SP” package. I though the big center rod locker the opened to the side was weird. I like the cooler step, sit there a lot when getting rods and rigging tackle. I do wish had underseat storage though and cup holders. P2 is very much lacking on easy access cockpit storage on p2.

11. Member
    I have had both. Very similar performance. Both are rockets out of the hole with a 200, and both will be low 70’s if set up properly and once you learn to drive it. Both are very responsive to the troller. My wife says the cockpit area for the passenger is larger. Like you, no tournaments for me, so live well system in my Classic never gets used. You may be able to upgrade the seats in a Classic. Both boats will rock a bit if someone heavy moves at the back. I really like the larger deck of the Classic and it’s full to the cockpit. The P2 has a cut out for the cooler. It’s much easier to work in the battery area of the Classic. Only thing I don’t like is the leakage into the drivers underseat storage but I believe the known issue is resolved in the newer Classics
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    I have no complaints about my classic leaks under the driver seat but that’s not a big issue for me
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

I’ve had both a P2 and a Triton 189TRX. The P2 was a great boat, but way too narrow and tippy for me. I took the P2 to a Triton dealer for motor work, and while walking the showroom floor the 189TRX caught my eye. It is definitely slower than the P2, but in my opinion, fishes much better with the TM down. If you are happy with the fishibility of your current boat, I think the P2 is a step back. Now the Classic on the other hand, if it was available when I was looking, I’d be all over that rig. I crawled through one at the Bassmaster Classic and was very impressed with the deck space, storage, etc. It feels like a much bigger boat than it is.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    I’ve had both a P2 and a Triton 189TRX. The P2 was a great boat, but way too narrow and tippy for me. I took the P2 to a Triton dealer for motor work, and while walking the showroom floor the 189TRX caught my eye. It is definitely slower than the P2, but in my opinion, fishes much better with the TM down. If you are happy with the fishibility of your current boat, I think the P2 is a step back. Now the Classic on the other hand, if it was available when I was looking, I’d be all over that rig. I crawled through one at the Bassmaster Classic and was very impressed with the deck space, storage, etc. It feels like a much bigger boat than it is.
    All 3 are excellent rigs.
    The TRX 189 only has 1 more inch in beam then the PII, which both carry the beam in the rear.
    The Classic has a wider front deck then both, but it’s overall beam is only 90.
    All 3 should fish well alone.
    A co-angler moving around the rear of the boat will be felt in all 3 rigs.

Build wise, the PII is an advantage series where the Classic is a vision.
    With what your wanting out of your rig (non-tournament) the Classic would better fit your needs.

My PII does everything great. I have 11 grandkids. Whether pulling them on a tube or just piled in the boat for some bream fishing it does fine. 90 percent of my fishing in my PII is alone and I tournament fish often.

You really need to drive and fish both. Nothing will help your decision more than hands on experience.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    Dealer up in my area doesn't do test drives. I can hop in a P2 anyime I need to, buddy down the road has one. The Classic I am not sure I have ever seen one in person or on the water in these areas.