Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I find it odd that YoZuri / Duel rarely gets mentioned when hard bait recommendation threads come up. They make a variety of suspending minnow type baits of the highest quality & action.

And adding to the single inline hook thing, I’ve replaced trebles with them on a variety of fast, slow & twitch type baits with virtually zero noticeable change in hookup ratio. The only time I have noticed any negative effect is when they’re in a tentative swatting/swiping mode, which sometimes can be fixed with a simple color or pattern change. I did it mainly to make then come through vegetation easier & cleaner.
    Last edited by bilgerat; 10-12-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    Ranting incoherently

2. Member
    I like the duel hardcore minnow flat in 95 for shallow hard jerks. I don't think it's the same thing as the yozuri with the same name. They don't look the same to me but the first one is a great bait for $10. It has casting weights and launches much farther than anything else I've tried. I may try the single hooks as the only issue is they're too sticky, no swiping here. Shallow or brushy I prefer soft jerks, mainly flukes, jerkminnows. Thanks for the posts.

3. Member
    Good stuff Fellas....thanks for the input.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Damiki Slim Jack. I don't think it dives two feet on a long cast...I know it doesn't on heavier line.
    For awhile I was also using it like a Rapala Sub Walk when they wouldn't commit to a topwater or over the top of submerged grass.
    If you happen to try it change the hooks immediately, the ones that come on it suck.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    One that hasn't been mentioned is the Damiki Slim Jack. I don't think it dives two feet on a long cast...I know it doesn't on heavier line.
    For awhile I was also using it like a Rapala Sub Walk when they wouldn't commit to a topwater or over the top of submerged grass.
    If you happen to try it change the hooks immediately, the ones that come on it suck.
    Thanks for the heads up...I was throwing a Zoom Super Fluke last week, but it really had a tough time staying down even in moderate current, so I will add a bit of weight to the hook to keep it down. The floating Rapalas still worked great, but I would like a suspending bait since the water is really cooling off now.

6. Member
    Stones River? Duck River?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue5 View Post
    Stones River? Duck River?
    Stones for now, mostly the East fork, and more seldomly the West. I also found access to Stewart's Creek in Smyrna, but that is a different challenge with lots of floating fallen leaves and other topwater debris.

8. Member
    Goto Academy sports. Their H2o brand full size suspending jerkbait.....it str8 catches. I bought a few to try and not worry about losing and....THEY CATCH...couple colors are better than others.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    ya - balanced at stop is primary, colors secondary, depth to suit. Jerkbaits - though I love them, have not been a huge performer for me on my home waters.
    For Middle TN... a big secret. hahaha... Bass hold TIGHT (understatement) to cover. so stinkin' tight. so - let that inform what you do... also may find that soft jerks allow you more flexibility in casting into cover.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

10. Member
    Thanks fellas...always good to have the additional info. Also, I have caught a lot of smallies in pools and eddies , mostly during the high water draw down several days after high waters from rains.

I have also drawn viscuos strikes (and landed some of my biggest fish) in deeper pools and current breaks using big 1oz topwaters of varying brands/models/designs... Buzzjets, Bow Stick, Super Spook, Mikey Jr., 130 WP.

Now that I have a kayak, I'll also be applying more tight-to-target casting and presentations this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12