Thread: Griddle Guys

Griddle Guys

New to the griddle world, got a CharGriller FlatIron and am really enjoying it. I was never a very good griller, but I am going to try on this griddle. So I made smash burgers tonight for my sons b-day and a few came out with that seared caramel color but most of them just were brown cooked meat, still very tasty. How do I get that crispy glazing out of 80/20 burger?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

First thing is get an infrared thermometer. Set your griddle up on high heat for 20 minutes. Use the thermometer to check the temps across the surface. Most all have hot spots. Then you will know where you need to flip first and last. In all meat pat surface dry before placing on grill for good sear. Also make sure you rock what you are using to "smash" with to make sure you have good surface contact.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. Member
    good tips, I will get a thermometer tomorrow, there is definitely some spots hotter than others
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    Once you get your grill hot, take a chilled stick of butter remove the paper from one end and rub it around on the grill where you’re going to put your hamburger patties. This will help give you the grilled caramelized Burger you’re looking for. I use a 1/3 cup of hamburger, rolled into a loose ball. Set that ball down on the area where you put the butter, let it sit for about four seconds and then smash it down with whatever you’re using and hold it for 12 seconds. You need to smash it pretty good, giving it a irregular shape. Flip it over and allow the other side to become caramelized like the first side. I have a stainless steel press made specifically for this, if you have something that will stick to the hamburger make sure you spray it with some sort of oil from an aerosol can so it does not stick. Some people use parchment paper in between whatever they’re using to Smash the burger, but I find it easier just to spray it. When you start this process butter some buns and place them down on the griddle, so they are toasted. Oh I love smash burgers, and so does my family. You can also put some other items on the grill such as onions, mushrooms, peppers or whatever you like on your burger…… of course cheese on the patty when you put it on the toasted bun. Man I’m getting hungry just talking about this…..
    Last edited by itsahog; 09-07-2021 at 09:53 PM.

5. Member
    After watching this video I changed the way I made my burgers. These are the best I have ate.