E70TLEUM Can't achieve WOT After Shift linkage issue!

I had an issue where the shift lever Broke and the shift detent came apart. I have since taken apart the entire lower unit and replaced the shift lever and Re-Assembled.

I then tested shifting on the "ears" in my driveway and all worked as intended.

I then went to my local lake and it ran and shifted well but it sort of fell off after a certain point when pushing throttle forward. It won't go past 5kRPM and 17.8 MPH but there is around 1/4 throttle left at the throttle lever.

I am assuming i need to do some adjusting on the side of the motor in order to fix this but i would love any possible input as the extensive repair i just completed sort of makes me nervous.

I'm also thinking the shift lever was wearing anyway and its possible the adjustments to compensate for it now need undone? Anyhow thinks for the input.

"1996 Evinrude E70TLEUM"

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take your airbox off the carbs and see if the throttle plates open 90* when you apply wide open throttle. BTW it is still a 1997.

3. Member
    Looked into the air box, throttle plates were opening to 90 and proceeding past. Adjusted linkage so full throttle is 90*. Will test tomorrow, I'm thinking the replacement Prop i went with hurt my top speed some.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes that can effect performance.