Thread: Combo map view

Combo map view

I have 2 12" Ultra touch units networked together. The dealer installed one premium map ? Lakevue maybe ? He said the base map would be on both units and since they were networked together I could get the premium map on both units. Well that appears to be working as intended. My question however is regarding having a combo map page. When I try to set this up I can get 1/2 the screen to display the map I like ( fishing chart ) but it won't give me that option for the other 1/2 of the screen. I would like to display a split screen with 2 fishing maps so I can zoom one in and one out.

I can create 1/2 the screen with a fishing map and the other half with a different map but that is not what I want to do. Does this make any sense ? Is there a solution to this ? I'm not too happy about it as I could easily do this with my Lowrance and also my Humminbird. Not sure why I can't do this with my Garmin.
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    Well I guess I will have to call Garmin tech support. No responses here after posting this a few days ago. I'm afraid I'm gonna be disappointed with what I find out.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Well I guess I will have to call Garmin tech support. No responses here after posting this a few days ago. I'm afraid I'm gonna be disappointed with what I find out.
    I wanted to do the same thing that you were trying but don't believe it's possible. I have mine set up with a split between fishing chart and navigation chart. If you hear different, let us know. I was just never able to find that as an option

4. Member
    Yea, I'm gonna try to find time to call them tomorrow if I can. I don't want two different types of maps on the screen. It's hard enough getting to understand one map and I don't need to try to understand a second one when I'm running on pad.

If there is no way to do this , it would seem to me not to be that big of an issue to make a software update to address this.
    GETFISHED !!!

Right. There is no way to have a dual Chart view with the Fishing Chart on both.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    UPDATE: I contacted Garmin technical support and it was confirmed that you cannot configure 2 fishing maps on the screen as a combo view. IMO that really, really sucks big time. I could go on and on with reasons why IMO it is really not OK as Lowrance and Humminbird have had this feature for years.

OK now I got that off my chest here's what I was told.

The tech support said he would put in a request for this as an update . He also said he could not say when or if this would happen. He did say that if enough people requested it that it might be more likely to happen.

I'm kina flabbergasted that there haven't been more people complaining about this lack of user friendliness.

Pleas call GARMIN TECH SUPPORT and request this update.

800-800-1020
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Member
    Ok, but after they fix Homeport first

8. Member
    Interesting comment. No disrespect but I don't even know what Homeport is. It's interesting how we all use this equipment differently. I hope you can get some satisfaction. I also hope Garmin will address the map issue. Thanks for the reply.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    I think what you are asking for is unlikely, in the near future. IMO it would take a major redesign of how their software operates. The limitation is not just with maps. Consider how many different transducers you could have to choose from with two networked 86xx units. Each unit has both an 8 pin and 12 pin standard port. If on one unit you wanted two SideVu screens or two ClearVu or two Traditional 2d panels, you can't do that, even though they are on the network. The dual channel sonar is there and I have used it and been able to display two 2d transducers side by side, but the implementation is awkward and requires both transducers to be plugged into the same unit. I do think such a redesign will happen, I just don't see it happening any time soon.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what is involved or how challenging it might be for the Garmin engineers. What I do know is that IMO this is reasonable and I would think it would be a no brainer. Since 2007 at least- that's 14 years ago at a minimum, Humminbird and Lowrance have had this feature. It is very helpful. Making a combo view of 2 identical maps allows me to set each one to the zoom point I prefer .

When boating on an unfamiliar lake having that data/info displayed uniformly on both views is user friendly not to mention the safety factor.

If I have a combo view with a fishing chart/navigation chart while each view may display the same body of water , the format is different. As a result I am required to spend more time reinterpreting what is on the screen as to how it compares to the other map view. More time trying to interpret the screen view means less time looking ahead for hazards. Now consider the same dynamics while on plane. It becomes more dangerous.

As I previously mentioned this feature has been available for 14 years at a minimum from Lowrance and Humminbird. Just seems to be not only a user friendly request but also a safety concern.

I hope you can take a moment out of your day and call or email Garmin to request this improvement.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    It amazes me how Garmin responds to different segments of its market. I'm a big user of their fitness products (my family has three watches, three bike computers and a half dozen sensors) and they are constantly changing and adapting hardware and software to meet their users needs. I've seen features asked for in their user forums implemented multiple times. Based on my last 12 months of experience since starting to use their fishing electronics, that does not seem the case. The whole Homeport versus ACTIVE Captain fiasco is a prime example. If they pulled something like that with their fitness devices they would lose a huge market share to Apple, Samsung, Fitbit, Polar, etc. That said - based on how they respond to their marine customers versus fitness customers, I do not have much hope they'll do anything about this or the huge list of items we have in the "Lets tell Garmin what we want to see in future software updates" thread.
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

12. Member
    I have requested the change, and periodically re-request it and will again today. I want it for a completely different reason. When setting up a combo view, once you select Traditional, you can't select Traditional a second time, even when you have a second source and the dual channel sonar can't use a network source. Same thing for the Fishing Charts and other choices. You are correct that this is a justifiable and reasonable request. Garmin generally responds to such requests, but on their own timeline.

Also, when you have a suggestion you want considered, in addition to informing Tech Support. Use this link.
    http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 09-10-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    GETFISHED !!!