Course up vs heading up for Console unit

Im aware i should use heading up on the front for fishing waypoints. Question is should i use course up map orientation on the back unit so it doesnt appear my boat is travelling in a diagonal line at high speeds using heading up? This is with a point 1 antenna.

Thanks

I prefer Course Up at the console.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    If you are seeing a diagonal line when using heading up at the console then either your Point-1 is not calibrated, or more likely you are getting electromagnetic interference. Where is your Point-1 located?

Most bass anglers use heading up for all units.
    ciao,
    Marc

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Heading up on both of my units
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinyea View Post
    Im aware i should use heading up on the front for fishing waypoints. Question is should i use course up map orientation on the back unit so it doesnt appear my boat is travelling in a diagonal line at high speeds using heading up? This is with a point 1 antenna.

Thanks
    You should fix the issue you have with your Point-1, so it works properly. Like Marc said, it is most likely poorly placed and influenced by magnetic radiation and that causes your heading to wander off to the side.

I think we got it in a little better shape now. Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I cant eliminate all of the interference on my boat because of limited mounting locations. I moved it farther away from engine. No place to mount on console or back deck without major modifications.

7. Member
    Sometimes you can only do what your situation allows. Glad it is better.
    ciao,
    Marc

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinyea View Post

Thanks
    Have you tried calibrating your point one?
    2008 Ranger Z20 ETEC 225HO