Black powder rifles????

Going to hunt this year with a back powder rifle. My question is if you don't get a shot do you completely unload the system? I'm guessing that the time between uses is the key. If you hunt within a week or wait a month what do you? I know to take out the primer but what about the black powder and shot? Is there a chance that the black powder will absorb moisture in the gun safe that makes it unusable?
    Thanks for what you know!

I will leave my rifle “loaded” (sans primer) for the duration of muzzleloader season (9 days) if I do not get a shot. Been doing this for the 30 years or so I’ve been muzzleloader hunting. No issues. If it was going to be several weeks between hunts, I would remove the breech plug and push the bullet and charge out.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Unless you are using a flintlock, use Triple 7 powder. It has extremely low residue and will not damage a barrel if left in it for a long period of time. I load up at the beginning of the season and remove the primer/cap for transport and between hunts.

If I am using actual blackpowder (I have several flintlocks) then I load up at the beginning of the weekend and empty at the end of the weekend.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I leave mine loaded also, made some rubber plugs to put over the firing cap port, just use a small balloon on the barrel to keep moisture out. Use the balloon on the end in rainy weather also, no need to take it off to shoot, comes right off mine when fired because there are no front sites, scope only....If you have hard sites it just rips it off....

5. Member
    Real blackpowder can and has been left in bores for over 100 years and still gone bang with no damage to the firearm. The trick is keeping moisture out. Do not take it in and out of the house. Leave it covered outside or in the garage. Going in and out of the house will cause condensation.

The post above posted good tips on how to seal the bore and nipple/flashhole.

Keep your powder dry.

I keep mine loaded all season. Just pull the primer and put it away. I'll unload it after deer season is over. Or before next season Never had it not go bang, unless there was a primer issue.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Unless you are using a flintlock, use Triple 7 powder. It has extremely low residue and will not damage a barrel if left in it for a long period of time. I load up at the beginning of the season and remove the primer/cap for transport and between hunts.

If I am using actual blackpowder (I have several flintlocks) then I load up at the beginning of the weekend and empty at the end of the weekend.
    Good point about powder. I should have mentioned I use 777 pellets.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

8. Member
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I use 777 pellets. Will be headed to the farm in a few weeks to zero the weapon.

9. Member
    Surprised no one is going to the shoot in Friendship Indiana starting the 11 thru the 18th.