Melting frog legs

Why ? How do you stop it ? And are there any that won't ? Talking the living rubber.

baby powder sprinkled liberally
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    What causes them to melt? Is it touching other plastic or something. I had about seven frogs from misc company didn't use them that much went to get them and they were all melted. I saved a couple put them in a box by themselfs. Went to use them again starting to melt

I've heard of this issue and of the baby powder solution. I'm also interested to hear what causes it, as I've never once had it happen. Legs sticking? Yes, a little, but they come apart easily and definitely have not actually melted.

First inclination would be mixing brands that have components/materials that don't play nice, but I've got multiple brands in my frog box--Terminator, Jackall, Spro, Live Target, Stanford, 13, and Lunkerhunt at least--so can't imagine that's it. Are folks storing soft plastics in the same box? Maybe it's the type of box? Mine are just in a cheap Fleet Farm branded 3700...

Maybe heat and humidity? I know I live in MN, but it gets above 90 regularly around here in the summer (especially this summer), it's always muggy with all the lakes around, and my boat lives in my matchbox of a garage where temps easily climb above 110 in the heat of the day. Can't imagine that it gets appreciably hotter elsewhere to where it would make a difference.

The only logical thing I can come up with is that it must be caused by putting them away wet. I do make it a habit to always allow a frog to dry before putting it away (I hang it on a lure rack inside my gunnel until dry/end of day), or if I have put one away wet, always open the lid on the box to allow them to dry.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 09-07-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

In my opinion it is mixing brands and or putting a wet one in the box. I have spro/booya/strike king/live target in one box and no issues

but in the past I have had a box go to hell with this issue. So don't write ND off as not hot enough
    Last edited by Fishysam; 09-09-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    Perhaps sunscreen, bug repellant or some other chemical touching the bait...a lure scent/oil/paste?