1996 Merc 25 hp 2 stroke tell tale

Serial 0g390451
    Just bought this outboard. The tell tale is weak , just sputters. I pulled off hose at block and it's clear. Picture shows a device that seems to regulate the stream. Could this be the problem?IMAG0602.jpg

2. Member
    Funny enough there are wires routed under the spark plug wires that touch the block. The wires are in good condition, so in my mind this is proof that this outboard never over heated during its life. Not sure if its normal for the wires to be routed that way...

3. Member
    perfectly normal for sputter , mtr must reach 120 degrees before thermostat opens and then may close again
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Thanks. I thought it looked like a thermostat, but did not expect it there. I didn't think the tell tale would be after the thermostat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    perfectly normal for sputter , mtr must reach 120 degrees before thermostat opens and then may close again
    You were correct, I let it warmed up and when the thermostat opened a strong stream came out. Thanks for the quick response!!! I am such a worrier....

6. Member
    yeaa i got one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................