Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nashville vs. Chattanooga

In 30+ years of marriage, my wife and I have lived in several states but always out west: Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Southern California and Northern California. I can work anywhere and her employer would like her to relocate to either Nashville or Chattanooga, and we’re taking a hard look. We’ll retire in 3-5 years, so we’re taking that in to long term consideration, too. For those with experience in either, what should I know, consider or watch for? Pros and cons of each would be really appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    Depends on what you are looking for. The best fishing is definitely the Chattanooga area. Weather better there too. Nashville much bigger with great downtown area and pro sports. For retirement the area just east of Chattanooga is hard to beat.

Go visit both and I think you’ll see which you prefer pretty easy. I’d pick Nashville between the two but both are very nice. I’d pick Williamson County specifically in the Nashville area, it’s where we moved from and my favorite area in the Nashville area. As mentioned fishing is better in the Chattanooga area but there are some great lakes within an hour or an hour and a half of Nashville also.

4. Banned
    For me between those two areas it would be Chattanooga.

Cleveland Tennessee

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VicLynn View Post
    For me between those two areas it would be Chattanooga.
    +1

7. Member
    I have lived in both, well I am in Cleveland which is 20 minutes out of Chattanooga. Twenty years ago I would have said Nashville hands down, but now I would have to choose Chattanooga and/or surrounding areas. Hands Down! I have friends and a daughter and SIL still in Nashville so I still visit often. But would not live there for any reason.
    Go Big Blue!

8. Member
    Chattanooga by a mile!

9. Member
    Not even close. Chattanooga area

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shafer22 View Post
    Cleveland Tennessee
    This

I like both towns but i'd go with Chattanooga if it were me, and like Shafer22 mentioned Cleveland is a nice and convenient to nooga

plenty to do and enjoy in both cities, if you want/like big name concerts and pro sports go with Nashville, if you like fishing and plenty of good local entertainment/dining Chattanooga, and the housing market in Chattanooga will probably be a little more favorable
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

12. Member
    I would agree with the Cleveland suggestions.
    From 08'-10' we lived in Ooltewah (Eastern edge of Chattanooga) Loved our entire time there.
    I would choose the smaller less populated city every time.

If you tend to fly a lot.... most of the time we found it way cheaper to fly from Atlanta. But that means driving or catching Groome Transportation to get there.

Anytime family/friends came out to see us, this was our go to outing. Something you don't get back in KS...
    DSC_9444.JPG
    That's me front right...lol
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

13. Member
    I grew up there and have lived in both cities. I would pick Chattanooga over Nashville. one over par is that the Hiwasee or Ocooee?
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Chattanooga by a country mile, Cleveland would be even better. Cookeville wouldn't be bad, also Crossville or Gallatin. I can't see me ever living in Nashville...

(606)305-1956

15. Member
    Chattanooga by a mile, I live just down the road in Dalton, GA.
    Downtown Chattanooga re invented itself years ago when the aquarium was built. It helped completely revitalize downtown Chattanooga.
    Nashville is quickly becoming San Francisco east. Even Chattanooga is moving that way, but not as quickly.
    Both have great health care and TN doesn't have a state income tax.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNix View Post
    Chattanooga by a country mile, Cleveland would be even better. Cookeville wouldn't be bad, also Crossville or Gallatin. I can't see me ever living in Nashville...
    Gallatin IS Nashville IMO. Agree with all the Cleveland comments. Almost on Chickamauga and an hour from GVille.

17. Banned
    Bueller good luck with the area you choose. In a few years I'll be doing the same thing. I'm going a little farther east in the Rutledge area, right between Cherokee, Douglas and Norris lakes.

18. Member
    Just east of Chattanooga not even close. You can thank me later.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

19. Member
    Chattanooga for sure.

Why is Chattanooga so much better than Nashville for those stating Chattanooga? I lived in Nashville, specifically Franklin, for years and it’s still one of my favorite areas. My sister lives in Brentwood. I grew up about an hour east of Nashville. I like both Nashville and Chattanooga but Chattanooga would be third for me out of the big Tennessee cities. Chattanooga would be cheaper I’m sure. You’ll have a lot better air travel
    options out of Nashville if that’s a concern.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast