Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Why is Chattanooga so much better than Nashville for those stating Chattanooga? I lived in Nashville, specifically Franklin, for years and it’s still one of my favorite areas. My sister lives in Brentwood. I grew up about an hour east of Nashville. I like both Nashville and Chattanooga but Chattanooga would be third for me out of the big Tennessee cities. Chattanooga would be cheaper I’m sure. You’ll have a lot better air travel
    options out of Nashville if that’s a concern.
    Because this is a bass fishing forum and Chick, Nickjack and Watts Bar have better bass fishing than Percy Priest or Old Hickory.

2. Member
    If you sing Nashville if you fish Chattanooga pretty easy. Lol.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Because this is a bass fishing forum and Chick, Nickjack and Watts Bar have better bass fishing than Percy Priest or Old Hickory.

I think there may be a lot of members here who don't actually fish.

So hard to beat the Columbia, TN area just outside Nashville to me. Beautiful area, centrally located, hospital, amenities, shopping etc. I was born in Lawrenceburg so I may be biased...

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    As I said Chattanooga is definitely closer to better fishing but Center Hill isn’t that far, gets a ton of traffic from Nashville, and Dale Hollow is an option a little farther out. I never fished Old Hickory my entire life so agree on that lake. I just figured there’s more to the move than fishing but maybe not. As I stated I think if you visit both cities it’ll be pretty clear the one they prefer as they are a lot different. I personally like the Knoxville area a lot more than Chattanooga but that wasn’t listed as an option. Hard to go wrong with anywhere in the eastern half of Tennessee. I plan to move back the day I retire if not before.

Nashville area.... not Nashville proper... Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, Greenbrier, White House, Gallatin, Portland, Westmoreland, Ashland city.... etc and drive up to KY for tax free groceries...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    one over par is that the Hiwasee or Ocooee?
    Ocooee, used the same company each time. Got to know the guides (good people) our fifth trip we had a trainee... mid-point of the river she came in at the wrong angle and we flipped the boat.
    Everyone is freaking out trying to get everyone onto other boats, the kayaker captured our raft and held it until we all caught up to get back in... After that experience I always joked, "it just wasn't the same, didn't get our moneys worth, compared to the time we flipped the raft!!" Great times all around.
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    So hard to beat the Columbia, TN area just outside Nashville to me. Beautiful area, centrally located, hospital, amenities, shopping etc. I was born in Lawrenceburg so I may be biased...
    I had no idea that you was born in Lawrenceburg and raised in Columbia. Before I retired I was in those towns every other week.

9. Member
    Chattanooga is beautiful (true).
    Chattanooga is hip (also true).

You (everyone) should move to Chattanooga.
    (signed… all of the OG Nashville folks)
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    Chattanooga is beautiful (true).
    Chattanooga is hip (also true).

You (everyone) should move to Chattanooga.
    (signed… all of the OG Nashville folks)
    I feel the same about Mountain Home,AR.

Chattanooga for sure. I've lived in the Nashville area and in Cleveland, TN. I love the mountains so I enjoyed the Chattanooga area. I have given some thought to going back to Cleveland since I retired, but kids, grandkids, and great grandkid are keeping me here. In Cleveland you're close to Chattanooga, and not all that far from Knoxville and the Smokeys.

12. Member
    I do not like big cities and all that traffic. Don't want to drive an hour or more to fish. So Nashville is a place I will visit but would not want to live there.

Chatanooga also is to big for the way I want to live. I'm old , 67, so I need to be close to a good lake. 10-15 mins to Douglas and Cherokee for me now.
    And I'd need to be fairly close to a hospital. That too is 15 mins from my front door.

Airport, only fly couple times a year for work and that's about to become zero, can be an hour or so away.

But the fishing, BBQ, and a grocery store , in that order, would be my deciding factors.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

13. Member
    Thanks to all who replied—I really appreciate the info and advice. Two weeks from today we will visit the area and spend three or so days in each. You all have really helped us narrow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I had no idea that you was born in Lawrenceburg and raised in Columbia. Before I retired I was in those towns every other week.

Yessir...have a LOT of family in Lawrenceburg, Waynesboro and Florence area. I actually tested with Columbia Fire about 20 years ago and had a conditional job offer. We ended up.staying in Texas though as the kids were younger and in school here.

15. Member
    Chattanooga closer to much more and better fishing but get away from the big city in the way out suburbs
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    Your choice but Chattanooga is centrally located to several great lakes, dining, shopping, mountains plus the traffic, congestion, crime rate, etc. aren't too bad there as in many other cities.

17. Member
    Nashville has grown too big and too fast. It has lost most of its small town feel and is just any other large city now. It's a shame. Some of my fondest memories are from there.

18. Member
    Depends on what is important to you. If you like bigger cities with more things to do (nightlife, finer dining, concerts, travel, pro sports, etc), then Nashville is probably better. However, you get more taxes, traffic and crime, although there are many areas that are safe. Real estate & home values are skyrocketing in Nashville, but still probably less than you have in Cal. The Chattanooga area will still have a lot of activities and dining, but a little smaller city with better access to natural diversity and fishing. Probably good to spend a little time in both areas before making your decision.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    So was I. Still go back to the farm most weekends.

20. Member
    Having lived in both, I think Chattanooga is a better choice BY FAR! The fishing and the options of where to fish is 100 fold what it is in Nashville. The lifestyle is better too. The only positive thing I would give the nod to Nashville in is entertainment. Some of the best musicians you’ve never heard of are busting their chops to get heard in Nashville.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast