Thread: Vault Hubs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Vault Hubs

Seems to be a touchy subject. After 7.5 years I finally had a rear seal blow. I ordered rebuild kits for both sides from Eastern Marine for $220 shipped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Riccochet; 09-10-2021 at 04:23 PM.

2. Banned
    I'd also like to add that the factory grease fill on those hubs was no where near as full as recommended. I'd say half of what should have been in there was actually in there. And the grease that came out was very runny. Like thick oil consistency. It ran out when I popped the cover. I wonder if that is what leads to failure. The new grease is like pudding consistency.

Makes me wonder if it's not worth flushing these hubs out and repacking them with fresh grease every few years. The rebuild kits came with two 14oz tubes of grease, and I maybe used half of one.

Ricco that’s how hybrid grease works. It’s solid when cold and melts when warmed up. Best of both worlds. Allows you to completely fill the hub, liquefies and provides the best lubrication to the bearings. Eliminating the air inside the hub eliminates the tendency to suck water inside the hub when you back it into the water. That’s how the vault system is designed. Worked for you for 7.5 years till you blew a seal
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Ricco that’s how hybrid grease works. It’s solid when cold and melts when warmed up. Best of both worlds. Allows you to completely fill the hub, liquefies and provides the best lubrication to the bearings. Eliminating the air inside the hub eliminates the tendency to suck water inside the hub when you back it into the water. That’s how the vault system is designed. Worked for you for 7.5 years till you blew a seal
    I know how the grease works, was just surprised that it was so liquidy compared to the new grease.

5. Member
    Did you repack the new bearings by hand? I'm waiting on a warranty rebuild kit from Dexter and the guy on the phone told me to put everything in clean and dry and then add the grease through the zerk fitting. That makes me uncomfortable because always hand pack bearings.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    Did you repack the new bearings by hand? I'm waiting on a warranty rebuild kit from Dexter and the guy on the phone told me to put everything in clean and dry and then add the grease through the zerk fitting. That makes me uncomfortable because always hand pack bearings.
    Yes, I packed the bearings before install. I don't think it makes a difference since, yes, you are forcing grease in from the rear to the front. As long as you spin the hub while pumping grease in it'll fill both bearings.

7. Member
    I thought vault hubs are guaranteed for 10yrs no maintenance ???

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    I thought vault hubs are guaranteed for 10yrs no maintenance ???
    6 years, according to Dexter's website.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Nice to know that Easternmarine has rebuild kits. I’m on year 8 with mine, don’t tow very often but when I do it’s usually 650 miles to Ontario or back. Might be a good idea to get a kit to have on hand.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Nice to know that Easternmarine has rebuild kits. I’m on year 8 with mine, don’t tow very often but when I do it’s usually 650 miles to Ontario or back. Might be a good idea to get a kit to have on hand.
    Yeah, and at $99 for a complete kit it's hard to beat. Most other kits I saw online were $130-150 and didn't include the hub. Plus, the hubs I received had the bearing races already pressed in. The new bearings come with races as well.

11. Member
    Anyone have a part number for the rebuild kit?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    Anyone have a part number for the rebuild kit?
    https://www.easternmarine.com/em-vau...it-138-116-oil

13. Banned
    Are the pics showing for anyone else?

14. Member
    Yes pics are showing up, complete hub kit with individual part numbers listed.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

15. Member
    Are the pics showing for anyone else?
    I do not see them.

16. Banned
    I edited the OP. And, subsequently, removed all the commentary due to being unable to actually manage attachments properly on this unmolested old version of vbulletin.

17. Member
    I recently did my trailer also. My spindles don't have a place for a grease zerk. UGHH !
    GETFISHED !!!

18. Member
    I didn't see new stainless wear rings in the kit. Did you replace them? If not keep an eye on that rear seal for leaks. I didn't change my wear ring the 1st time and the rear seal leaked. had to pull them back apart. Learned the hard way!!

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    I didn't see new stainless wear rings in the kit. Did you replace them? If not keep an eye on that rear seal for leaks. I didn't change my wear ring the 1st time and the rear seal leaked. had to pull them back apart. Learned the hard way!!
    I did not replace them, and they were not in the kit. The wear rings looked fine though. No visible wear, and could not detect any with calipers.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    How hard was it to replace the wear rings? I heard they can be a pain to get off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast