Talon spike rattle

I just got a used 12’ talon non Bluetooth model. I noticed when the spike is retracted, it rattles inside the housing. If I shake the boat or talon, it rattles. I changed the isolator and o ring and it is still the same. The only way I see to fix the rattle is if the spike did not retract all the way into the housing. Is it normal for the spike to go in about a finger lengths into the housing or is the tip supposed to stick out slightly so the isolator can support it?

Update for others who may have this issue. I finally found a pic online of the bottom of the talon. Seems no one really takes pics of that. It looks like the tip is supposed to stick out a bit. I do not see an adjustment to lower the spike so my only conclusion is that the previous owner wore the tip down or had to cut it for some reason. I think I will order a new spike and see if it fixes it.

3. Member
    The spike has a lifetime warranty. Yes it is suppose to stick out about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. You might take a look at the top and see if everything is good there also. there is a bar with a black switch to shop the retractions. Make sure it is not bent and the magnets on the spike piston assembly are clean and not rusted. If they are then that should be changed also. see diagram below.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...ike_And_Cables

Thank you for the insight. Which part is the bar that you are talking about? Also, how would I see the the magnets?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revhi View Post
    Thank you for the insight. Which part is the bar that you are talking about? Also, how would I see the the magnets?
    The bar is the one where the limit switch is located. Has 3 wire going to the little black thing. The magnets will be directly below the little black thing.

Thanks for the info. My problem was the spike length. The new one is 3 inches longer and also less taper down to the tip.

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    was the spike covered under warranty ??
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    was the spike covered under warranty ??
    He is not the original owner, so that would be no.