3 wire to a 2 wire trim motor

88 Mariner outboard, 3 cyl 90hp.
    Serial# B330956

I picked up a new motor for my trim unit, put it all together and bled it using a battery. I connected the trim wires to the trim solenoids and it didn't work.

I notice that they make a 3 wire to 2 wire relay conversion kit.

I assume I'm going to completely remove the 2 trim solenoids that are on the motor now and can I install the relays in their position? Anything else to this?

I appreciate your help.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Harness and relays- they act as a "Polarity Reversing" 2-wire (fixed magnet) control system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Harness and relays- they act as a "Polarity Reversing" 2-wire (fixed magnet) control system.
    Can I mount them in the same spot where the solenoid were?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    Can I mount them in the same spot where the solenoid were?
    It's an EASY modification.....took 1.5/2 hours including removal and installation of the T\T's. I mounted the relays in a different location.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They are usually moved to the back of the engine, but you could.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you for your help everybody