Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

Praying Active Target Locks up HDS LIve 12

Maybe there's a simple solution for this. I've got my HDS Live 12 on the bow with AT ethernet from module to 1 ethernet port on unit.

At the console (gunnel mounted) I have an HDS Carbon 12 and in-dash an HDS Carbon 9. All 3 have the 20.3 update specifically for Carbon and Live. The AT module has the 20.3 software as well

the Carbon 12 (gunnel) has an ethernet cable run to the Carbon 9 (in-dash), so that's 1 port each taken up there. The CArbon 12 has the Sirius ethernet (or antenna or sonic hub-I forget which one of those is the ethernet connection) in the second port (both ports now taken on Carbon 12).

Here's where I run into trouble.......I've run an ethernet cable from the Carbon 9 (in-dash) to the bow Live 12 so that I have all my units communicating with each other. Now all 3 units have all etherent ports used; 2 on each one. On the water the LIve 12 with AT starts acting up locking up AT, then going blank then the map comes up and restarts then goes away til finally the unit is unable to do anything to any key presses I do.

If i unplug the ethernet cable from the LIve 12 that is coming from the Carbon 9 in dash the LIve 12 works perfectly. AT works, mapping works SS works everything is just fine.

As soon as I plug in the ethernet cable from the Carbon 9 indash it goes wacky and locks up.

I've tried 2 new ethernet cables run across the deck to test and every time is plug it into the LIve unit it locks up.

Any ideas???

Thanks
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    Since I have my ethernet cables originating from my 3D StructureScan box (acting as a hub) I do not have your problem. I am told by Lowrance that while "daisy-chaining" multiple units will work, it also brings with it special challenges like what you are experiencing. How to overcome those challenges will have to be answered by others more knowledgeable on this subject (since I have not experienced this or tried to solve this problem).
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    I would try and disconnect the Carbon 12 to the Carbon 9 while connected to the HDS LIVE and see if it goes away and start isolating from there. I once had a similar issue with my HDS Lives locking up, but it ended up being that I completed the LAN network chain and it created confusion in the LAN network. I would try and maybe hooking up the SIRIUS receiver to the Carbon 9 and running the network cable between the 2 12" units. Lastly, I would maybe try and do a refresh all sources and see if that helps.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    You might have created an ethernet loop when connecting the carbon 9 to both the carbon 12 and live 12 so network traffic is confused on where to travel.

Connections:
    live 12 to carbon 12
    carbon 12 to carbon 9
    AT to live 12
    sirius to carbon 9

OR

live 12 to carbon 9
    carbon 9 to carbon 12
    AT to live 12
    sirius to carbon 12

Other option would be to get a network expansion port unit, plug all three units into it, then AT to live 12, sirius can go to either of the units or the NEP.
    Last edited by mean_dean; 09-03-2021 at 03:29 PM.

I haven't experienced this before but have a 3 unit setup similar to your setup. It kind of sounds like a IP conflict in the network maybe. Maybe you could reset or try auto configure setup? Good luck!
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

6. Member
    "live 12 to carbon 9
    carbon 9 to carbon 12
    AT to live 12
    sirius to carbon 12"

That's what I have right now
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I understand what you are saying. I figured if each unit has 2 ethernet ports and that's all I needed with my setup it should be an easy setup with minimal modules installed in my boat. I was glad when SS and DS was finally built into the units so I could get rid of a module. With what I had in my boat in the way of electronics and the sonic hub I also needed an NEP before Lowrance came up with 2 ethernet ports on the Carbon and LIve.

I guess I'll try what booter mentioned first by swapping around ethernet connection to different units first and if that don't work I have 2 options....leave everything as is and just don't connect the Carbon 9 to the Live 12 OR call Lowrance for help.

I can't believe that the Pro's with 4 HDS units, a sonic hub and AT module can't run all units ethernet connected together without problems.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I understand what you are saying. I figured if each unit has 2 ethernet ports and that's all I needed with my setup it should be an easy setup with minimal modules installed in my boat. I was glad when SS and DS was finally built into the units so I could get rid of a module. With what I had in my boat in the way of electronics and the sonic hub I also needed an NEP before Lowrance came up with 2 ethernet ports on the Carbon and LIve.

I guess I'll try what booter mentioned first by swapping around ethernet connection to different units first and if that don't work I have 2 options....leave everything as is and just don't connect the Carbon 9 to the Live 12 OR call Lowrance for help.

I can't believe that the Pro's with 4 HDS units, a sonic hub and AT module can't run all units ethernet connected together without problems.
    I think that what you want to do can be done, but I believe I remember that there is a trick to it...something about one unit becoming a master unit and others becoming slaves. And because of this, I am thinking the units must be fired up in a particular sequence, like the master first, then the others? I will try and find an answer for you if others here who know the process don't chime in. As you mentioned, it is working for others so it has to be able to be done...I just don't use a sonic hub and I don't need to daisey chain mine since I have the 3D StructureScan acting as a hub.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    Thank you Sir
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Well guys....as per email then phone support I have to install my NEP-2 in order for everything to work. "Daisy chain" units like that is not recommended.

I was disappointed when the fella i spoke to told me he was in the Philippines when I questioned where he was calling from. Reason I asked is because he didn't exactly know a whole lot about the Lowrance products after I told him I already had a sonar hub and an NEP-2 module because years ago I used the Spotlight Scan on my Motorguide TM. He had no idea what that was.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Well guys....as per email then phone support I have to install my NEP-2 in order for everything to work. "Daisy chain" units like that is not recommended.

I was disappointed when the fella i spoke to told me he was in the Philippines when I questioned where he was calling from. Reason I asked is because he didn't exactly know a whole lot about the Lowrance products after I told him I already had a sonar hub and an NEP-2 module because years ago I used the Spotlight Scan on my Motorguide TM. He had no idea what that was.
    That's odd that you would still have to use the NEP 2. I have 2- 12" HDS Lives and 2- 12" HDS Carbons networked together only using the LAN ports on the units. The only other thing I can think of is that you might have to soft reset on all of the modules and see if that works.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

12. Member
    Any chance you have wireless turned on in one of those units? Reason I ask is my AT will not work and locks up like you mention when wireless is turned on. As far as ethernet loop? Ethernet is a language that is broadcasted with a specific address in each poll. All units see the same data and only the unit with the correct address will respond. So, no ethernet loop. It could be a clocking problem between units though. If one of your units internal network clock is slipping you could have issues.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill