Carpet ordered. What other tools do I need?

Just getting ready to do my first carpet job on a 2000 Ranger 520VX. Carpet has been ordered from Ranger as well a glue and carpet edge trim. What other must have tools do I need besides about 20 clamps for the lids? �� This will be my first attempt at doing carpet on a boat. Should be a fun project. I’m expecting about a week or so worth of work to do it. Any tips and tricks? I’ve heard people say that you don’t need to get 100% of the glue off the boats surface but you don’t want to leave to much either. I’ve decided not to go for the padding under the carpet. Just to expensive and I’ve never stood on one so won’t know what I’m missing anyways. I’m having all new compartment lids built by Ranger Mike so that’s gonna save some glue scraping time. And save me some future headache most my lids are soft and cracking.

One other thing. How is the carpet edge trim put down? I noticed on a piece of mine it looked like a Brad nail in one of the ends. I assumed it was just peel and stick the entire way only but am I also going to want to nail it down every so many feet?
    Last edited by lacofdfireman; 09-03-2021 at 01:47 AM.

You will need rivets for all the lids
    Sharp scissors to cut the front and back deck carpet
    I did not take the carpet edge off, mine was in good shape and the carpet tucks under the lip so you don't see the cut edge.

3. Member
    Skip the scissors and get a real carpet knife. Much easier. With a sharp blade it will cut the carpet like butter. You won’t need clamps if you use contact cement. Just press it and it will be stuck. My trim was held in with small pop rivets.

4. Member
    Clamps are for rookies, Weldwood contact adhesive, it likes the sun no clamps needed. 20-30 razor blades, 1/2" by 3/16" pop rivets (50). This style of knife, quick change blade. https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-10-49...18159598&psc=1 push in the yellow button pull the blade out, flip or install a new one. Acetone for glue clean up, spray gun to get it done fast.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Electric scraper

A good back massager as your back will be killing you

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    A good back massager as your back will be killing you

Great. My back is already jacked up. 👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

8. Member
    Siphon feed sprayer from harbor freight and a gallon of Weldwood. Real time saver and no need for clamps.

Oscillating tool was my number one tool. Gets all the old glue off. I know these guys are saying clamps are for rookies, but you sound like a rookie, as was I. Mine turned out factory! I cut thin hardwood and clamped to every side of the lids. They came out awesome. Being patient and making sure the carpet lays in the same direction is the main thing. Good luck. It sure makes an older boat feel new again!