Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    The Diamante is a bigger walking bait. Wanna say it's 7/8 of an oz and the giant dog x is 1/2 oz. I would classify the Diamante as the perfect in between of a regular walking bait and something aggressive like a showerblow. It spits water , but not as much as a showerblow does.
    You are correct, i checked the profiles on TW the diamente is 3/4 the giant is 1/2oz

More confusing is that the giant dog is recommended to be thrown on dragon call line, which is a "super flurocarbon"??? I got my spools mixed up last year and accidently spooled my topwater rod with fluro and the baits wouldnt walk at all cause the line kept sinking.

Mark do you have any insight at all as to why you guys recommend dragoncall to throw these baits? does dragoncall somehow float?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

2. Member
    Whopper Plopper 130, Kickknocker or Super Spook, buzzbait.

3. Member
    P70 Rebel pop R ,Heddon chugger jr, Vixen, and a squealing buzz bait, not all are the same.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    You are correct, i checked the profiles on TW the diamente is 3/4 the giant is 1/2oz

More confusing is that the giant dog is recommended to be thrown on dragon call line, which is a "super flurocarbon"??? I got my spools mixed up last year and accidently spooled my topwater rod with fluro and the baits wouldnt walk at all cause the line kept sinking.

Mark do you have any insight at all as to why you guys recommend dragoncall to throw these baits? does dragoncall somehow float?
    To me the Giant Dog X and the Diamante are two different baits. The Diamante obviously is heavier, longer and wider but it walks so easy that many are surprised at that I think. The Diamante is more in line size wise with a Vixen etc. The rattling version has a deep almost one knock sound to me. You can get it to walk in short hops or really wide glides depending on what you want it to do. The mat shad color just gets blasted anywhere I fish it.

As far the Dragoncall reccomendation I will have to research the suggestion. I pretty well just use braid or mono for all my topwaters.

5. Member
    Lunker punker

7. Member
    Spend a ton of time throwing the Evergreen Showerblows in either Bone or American Shad for a walking bait. So easy to cast and walk.

Have the most fun throwing a Bully Wa or Spro Poppin frog.

Catch the biggest fish on a simple Cavitron buzzbait with a white Zoom Hornytoad and no skirt. Had one that squeaked just right but broke the wire after several years of use. Haven't been able to duplicate that sound since.

Storm Arashi Cover Pop.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    Spend a ton of time throwing the Evergreen Showerblows in either Bone or American Shad for a walking bait. So easy to cast and walk.

Have the most fun throwing a Bully Wa or Spro Poppin frog.

Catch the biggest fish on a simple Cavitron buzzbait with a white Zoom Hornytoad and no skirt. Had one that squeaked just right but broke the wire after several years of use. Haven't been able to duplicate that sound since.
    Funny you mention a Cavitron buzzbait....back when I was guiding on the Kissimmee Chain I had a Japanese client that used one - first time I had seen a buzzbait wire bent that way...long story short we both had 7 hits on our buzzbaits that morning but I missed two - he missed none ....I make my own buzzbaits and EVERY one I make has that bend in the wire- I believe it puts more of the hook in the water and makes hook ups much more reliable.....

8B2A9F43-003F-45C6-8A12-2B54BB21F703.jpeg
    All this talk about topwater reminded me of my old 18” Bill Dance buzzbait. I think I bought mostly for a laugh but looking at it now makes me think about putting a good size swimbait on it seeing what it will do.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    Crap I'm old...sounds like some of you are talking a foreign language....
    I still catch a bunch of fish on a tiny torpedo.

12. Member
    I have 3. #1 hands down is a basic buzzbait. #2 is a whopper plopper, either 110 or 130. #3 is for smallies, a Shower Blows 105 or 125.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

13. Member
    Frog
    Craig Williams - Zeeland , Mi '​97 Bass Cat Jaguar / Evinrude 225

14. Member
    110 Plopper with a Pop R close second

15. Member
    Creek Chub Injured Minnow
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Member
    Was always a Chug bug .......... then I found Moto Lures this summer. Blows evey single bait listed on this thread out of the water.

17. Member
    I used to catch a lot of nice bass on a 3/8 oz. coach dog Hula Popper with a large skirt in farm ponds in SC when a teenager. Still have a few that are pretty scratched up. Can't bring myself to buy them now that they are made in China...
    Last edited by TomF; 09-02-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

18. Member
    Can’t just name one. Either a Deps Buzzjet, spook, or a Horney Toad., Out of those three, one will usually do the trick.

I can remember back in the day I thought I hit the lotto when I had a couple of Excalibur Spit N Images with the Bill Dance signatures on them. Still have a few.

Zoom Horny toad is another good one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234