Thread: Lower Unit

Lower Unit

I have a 98 225 ProMax with a Sportsmaster lower unit serial # OG787344. I know y’all get get tired of hearing this but I have put in many many water pumps. This is the first time I have ever seen this. There is a captured washer that has slid over and blocking the bottom of the power head where the driveshaft slips in. I can move it around but it still falls back and blocks the splines. My question is should I make a hook and snatch it out or try to grease it to stick in place long enough to stab it in?
    One other option may be putting the boat on ramps and leveling the motor to where I can lift it straight up. What say my Merc friends ?

2. Member
    dout you can SNATCH IT thats a hard stainless ring ,there are some threads on hear of how to make a tool to reinstall outa pvc pipe ,or pull powerhead
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I’ve read many times on here you can make something out of pvc pipe and push it back in, one time shot at it or you’ll have to pull the power head. I would wait until Don or someone who has done it gets on here and tells you how.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good info above. I gave some info on it a couple years ago, should be in the search somewhere (sorry- I'm outta town at the moment).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor