Thread: Late October

Late October

So we planned a trip to fish in last week in October under my suggestion. It’s just a few of us that do a trip a couple times a year for a long time. Don’t always fixate on one body of water. We’ll be in the finger lake region. So we’ve spent plenty of time in late September and early October up there and it could be hit or miss but I try telling my fishing partner that it’s a better bite a little later on with experience I had solo a couple times. I’ve explained the weather can be brutal but the fishing seems to be better. The others are having there doubts and are more worried about the weather. Wondering what other people’s experiences have been up there that time a year. Feel like they want to back out and never try it once in their lifetime that time of season.

2. Member
    I can honestly say the one trip I look forward to most all year is mine and my cousins Halloween weekend trip to a small local lake near Cooperstown. No public ramp and the best we’ve had was 119 smallies in 7hrs. We typically average 60 fish days there. Ya the weather can be sucky but that keeps the crowds off the lakes. Most will be in tree stands anyways. There’s times where we’ve had winter jackets, insulated hunting bibs and boots on and that’s when we caught the most fish. Always fun to catch a smallie in a snowstorm. You’re right, the later in the year it gets the better the fishing becomes.. Might have to search for them a bit more but when you find one, you can sit in a single spot for hours.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Love fishing that time of the year in NY. The biggest issue that late is usually wind. Once the leaves are off the trees, there's a whole lot of windy days that makes for sporty conditions. But, when you find fish, they are usually schooled up and you can really catch a bunch.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

4. Member
    November is my favorite month to fish, but you have to pick and chose your days sometimes. My personal best largemouth was caught late November on a 37 degree air temp day.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

5. Member
    Depends on water temps .. and the bait…
    did find big schools of giant SM .. getting 4-5#s….
    Buddy n I out fished few boats in this one spot one weekend
    last year.. we were fishing total opposite of what the other guys
    were .. crushed them …getting 3-4 to there one. … after about
    20 mins .. others boats were leaving ….

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

6. Member
    Talking to some one that fishes NY a lot and said that late October can be a tough time of year fishing wise. I know the weather is gonna be cold and windy but that don’t bother me. I’m more interested in how the fish are biting. He told me it’s tough.

7. Member
    Fishing late October in upstate NY has always been good to me. Never been around the finger lakes that time of year but they should be chewing.

8. Member
    Late October fishing can be difficult if your fishing in the desert. Keep moving !!!! 100 fish days to be had!